No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina maybe MDG Whale?  (Read 1895 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Mdina maybe MDG Whale?
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2014, 08:42:08 AM »
Frankly, I reckon your opinion is of considerably more value than mine on this, Wolfie! :)

Looking at Said's later work though, he doesn't achieve this sort of delicacy in the colouring, I can't imagine he was able to be this skillful even earlier on.

BUT, I know nothing about animals or fishies. My big Boffo interest is the green MDG glassware.  (or unusual colour combinations, such as blue cased Earthtones or green and blue "Ming").

If it was made at Mdina, could it be Ettore's work rather than Vicente's, Wolfie?

Do you know if their work can be distinguished from each other's?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2014, 09:30:57 AM »
Firstly it's not a fish it's a whale/dolphin they don't have scales they have skin and don't therefore have big flouncy frilly fins the eyes and the blowhole have been made with a pipe.

If I was a Murano master wanting to teach 'boys' in their lunch break out make an animal I too would probably have a 'classic' Murano figure. I think the scar would have been polished and flattened to copy that style and of course give the impression it was leaping out of the water.

Not good enough to have been made by 'Bofffo' I have put a photo of another 'known' fish with similar colouring that is not exactly the finest executed piece I have ever seen either also a fairly well executed Bofffo penguin he made at W/f opposed to another lighting amber he 'allegedly' made at W/f too? along side 2 other equally poor examples from MDG which quite frankly I could have made in my lunch break?

So based on that theory one could easily argue they the W/f with the lovely long well executed beak and wings surely could not have been made by the same hand as those other 3

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 09:47:05 AM »
Also similar to Murano whales in the same way that the fish is similar to Murano fishes.

Not surprising considering where the Boffos learnt their craft.

I think most people are happy that this piece was most likely created with the involvement of Boffo.
“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2014, 11:09:04 AM »
I am with Nemmie on this one.

The consensus is that this IS a Boffo Whale, a beautifully executed piece and an exciting find.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2014, 11:30:55 AM »
And I am with Nemmie and Rosie on this - at first I thought not Boffo because of the lack of frilly crimped fins, but then  when I realised it is a WHALE, of course I looked again.  Sorry I doubted you at first Chris.  Forgiven?

It looks beautiful and very Whale like.  And the colours are stunning. Certainly Boffo was diverse in his glass making as we have seen from the various very different shapes of his glass Penguins.  The Penguin made whilst he was at Whitefriars is very Penguin like, but the small ones made elsewhere are almost cartoon like in my opinion.

Friggers or one offs are always subject to heated discussions, and as many have done on Whitefriars.com, much of the time it has been down to "instinct". 

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2014, 01:06:19 PM »
[Mod: As now noted in the original post for this thread, there has been merging of comments from another thread, following editing and deletion of various posts in that other thread.

If anyone wishes to add further thoughts or perhaps to reinstate something that has been edited out, please do so. However, please keep all comments and images relevant to the discussion of the item without adding views relating to any other person.]
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand