No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual black vase, applied white ''snake'' spiral. ID= Słuczan-Orkusz, Poland  (Read 6211 times)

Offline angel2

• Members
Hi, does anyone have any idea who may have produced this curious vase?  ??? Thanks

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Unusual shaped black glass vase with applied white ''snake'' spiral
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 11:16:21 AM »
Does it strike you as fairly modern Ben? I have seen and handled a few similar vases, they all had trails in contrasting colours to the body and were well made. I thought quite recent and given the quality not Chinese, perhaps Poland or somewhere in Eastern Europe.

Do you still have my phone number? Get in touch.

John

Offline angel2

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 04:51:32 PM »
Nice one John - yep I've used my mum's GM account.

I thought perhaps modern Polish/Eastern European too so we're on the same page with this.

Fraid I've lost yer numbers 'cause my last phone suddenly stopped working and I hadn't saved contacts to sim. Please send your mob/landline number to benderrynmylo at outlook dot com
Would be good to talk, its been a while.

Cheers, Ben

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 03:36:11 PM »
Better late than never, made in Sweden by Skruf, judging by this one anyway...

John

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Interestingly, on this site about an upcoming exhibition on Polish designer Jerzy Słuczan-Orkusz a whole range of vases like this are shown (you have to go to the second photo using the ">" to the right)
https://mnwr.pl/en/upcoming-in-the-pursuit-of-colour-glass-artist-jerzy-sluczan-orkusz-1924-2002/

Michael

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
That is much better Michael, no wonder I could not find another example searching for Skruf... Just goes to show a single label is not always enough. Guessing that label was moved.

Searching using Słuczan-Orkusz however does show other examples and helps to build a picture of the designers style. Very useful thank you - I occasionally see some of these vases on my travels, will start buying them if they are the right price too.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Thank you for that link Michael......I know there are at least two pieces, in the forty boxes I am working through,  that I now think I can identify!

Just got to find them 😹
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand