No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Another Uranium Monart  (Read 2422 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Another Uranium Monart
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 10:30:47 AM »
I think that could just be manganese. I am surprised though. :-\
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 10:43:13 AM »
If you can stand 2 ft away and see a glow in daylight even with a small torch it's most likely uranium

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 11:30:39 AM »
Okay, here is picture in daylight with the UV torch inside it - you can see the light shining through the vase as green  - not purple/blue.
The inside seems to be a glass containing uranium (?) throughout it, but the outer casing does not.
One of the green enamels shows up really green whereas the other turns purple/blue under UV.

Any suggestions?

Roberta
Roberta

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 04:53:29 PM »
Try checking just a piece of clear glass such as on the rim or edge of the base. If you can find clear glass that is not refracting any other colour, then the UV reaction of that part should be a yellow-green (typical for Monart of all periods) and may be quite bright, but not as bright as a "uranium UV reaction".

If there is a definite difference between the clear glass reaction and the possible uranium glass reaction, with the uranium reaction being much brighter than than the other, then I think you are on a winner.

Simple isn't it? Not really!
KevinH

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 07:30:32 PM »
All I can add is that if I shine UV on the outside it relects purple - if I shine it through it shows as green.
my FA shape does something similar but has an incredibly strong green glow which this vase doesn't, but this glass is much more yellow in colour - does this mean it might be manganese (?) rather than uranium?

It does look like it should really glow but it doesn't,  but there is definitely something in the glass  ???

Roberta
Roberta

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 07:39:12 PM »
Much more yellow doesn't mean more manganese. Concentrated manganese gives purple. I can't tell from your pictures. Try an edge picture with your torch shining done into the edge and one with the edge receiving direct bright light through a window.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 07:47:15 PM »
Remember to stick your tongue out, cross your eyes and hop on one foot while doing it! ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 08:15:14 PM »
I think I'm doing the first two!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Roberta

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 09:33:43 PM »
seen this on ebay bought from auction house a few weeks ago for 30 bucks oh so cheap , auction house listed it as perfect though stress fractures in middle layer of glass at neck,  but way too cheap at 30 , very nice piece , I thought it might have made more on ebay , how times have changed , 8 years back this would have made 500 plus in perfect condition and probably 250 plus with damage , nice piece well done
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 09:42:09 PM »
oh also I remember  a few years back now Mary James had a large footed vase or bowl that that glowed strongly with the uv lamp, and there was a few other pieces in folks collection that also glowed, I think Nigel Benson may have been involved but its that long ago I cant remember everyone who was involved , Keith Barraclough may have been another as I know he had a bowl that glowed really good under uv lighting , 
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand