No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cut cube vase/object, acid etched surface. ID = František Vízner  (Read 2943 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Cut cube vase/object, acid etched surface. ID = František Vízner
« on: September 04, 2014, 03:29:33 PM »
Interesting piece added to my Czech glass collection:
cube shaped vase/object, cut, polished, surface acid etched (only the interior is smooth).
Massive piece, despite the rather smallish dimensions (12 x 12 x 14 cm) weighing 4.1 kg.

Made from a colourless-cased-in-topaz blank -- could well be from Skrdlovice ;D
On two sides the colourless glass shows at the surface (see pic 3).

Very well made, with a paper thin rim at the opening.

Can this be confirmed to be a Vizner piece, or is it just made in his style?
Very similar to >> this piece at CMOG, and to the mid 1960s ones pictured in the Ricke book.

Robert and Jindrich write in their Skrdlovice book (page 68) that in the 1970s cut pieces were made there by several designers...

Thanks,
Michael

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: Cut cube vase/object, acid etched surface
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 09:32:42 PM »
A very interesting piece Michael, it is a very good candidate for being an extremly rare piece of Czech glass, pre 1967.

Robert (bOBA)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 07:43:57 PM »
Wow!  Well that's exciting!

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 07:36:05 AM »
Thank you so much for your thoughts, Robert, greatly appreciated! :)

That is what I hoped when I purchased it, though I knew it would be tough (or impossible) to get a confirmation...

Michael

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 02:18:43 PM »
Dear friends,
I am happy that I can confirm that this piece had been designed and also cut by master hands of František Vízner.

Frantisek called it simply "cubes". He used the glass material from Mstišov glassworks, later when factory in Msišov had been closed he used glass from Karlovarské sklo. First cube made František in 1962 when  he worked in Rudolfova hut as pressed glass designer.
There were cut machines in Rudlolfova hut just for finishing bottoms of pressed glass pieces, afternoons when workers left, František used their cut machines to make such things, just a side job, source of money. He had sold it in Prague, at Narodni street to art-craft shop. The usual price was about 600 Kcs for the piece, the medium salary in Czechoslovakia was about 1000 Kcs at that time.

Frantisek had told me that he had some conflicts with cutters in Rudolfova, becouse he usually destroyed their cut equipment, he told me that he was not very skilled cutter. He also mentioned, that when he sold in Prague two or three "cubes" he had felt himself rich like Rotchild, walked through Prague with nose up. :-)

I attached the picture made by Frantisek,  we tried to sumarise and date all of pieces he made.
Jindrich

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 02:24:15 PM »
Pieces from Frantisek's private collection

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 03:12:25 PM »
Jindrich, it's so good to 'see' you here again.  We missed you.

What a wonderful story -- Michael, it's looks like you've got one darn special piece!

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Cut cube vase/object, acid etched surface. ID = František Vízner
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 05:58:43 PM »
Dear Jindrich,
thank you so much for confirming that the master František Vízner designed (and actually made) this piece!!
Bearing in mind how beautifully it is made, I would say he was a very skilled cutter! :)

Very much appreciated that you found the time to reply, and even tell the wonderful story behind these early cut pieces.

A very special piece indeed, certainly one of the highlights of my Czech glass collection.

Michael

edit to add: though I had spent hours and hours researching Vizner's cut objects, only just now I came across this article by Mgr. Mailand Hlaveš, showing an almost identical piece:
http://www.czechdesign.cz/index.php?status=c&clanek=735&lang=1 (second row, right)

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 06:21:17 PM »
Hi Michael, our common friend Boba is man who managed it to let me take a look to your piece.

In fact, I am one and only Viznerologist, I had chance to have honour to help Frantisek to make a list of all pieces he made in pressed, cut and free hand blown glass. I was very lucky man, I have spent hours with him, chatting, listening and alo recording.

I miss him very much, really.
Jin

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 08:25:55 PM »
Thank you Jindrich.
You were really privileged to spend so much time with one of 20th century's most important glass artists.
I can understand why you miss him so much...

I am honoured that the one and only Viznerologist took the time to help me with this beautiful piece.

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand