No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Benny Motzfeldt Hadeland Cheese Cover with Board - Size Range?  (Read 4293 times)

Offline Panda

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Scandinavian Glass (newbie)
    • U.S.
Benny Motzfeldt Hadeland Cheese Cover with Board - Size Range?
« on: September 05, 2014, 02:48:02 PM »
I have acquired this very large cheese dome (cake dome?) of colorless glass on what I believe to be a teak board.  The dome's form is strikingly similar to that of a smaller Benny Motzfeldt Hadeland dome of smoky green-gray glass on a teak board in my collection.  This larger dome by itself is 11" tall (11.5" when sitting on its wooden base) and 9.5" in diameter at its widest. The wooden base is 11" in diameter and about an inch in thickness.

Does anyone know the size range of domes produced by Benny Motzfeldt with Hadeland in the later 1960s?  I've read elsewhere that some were produced in colorless glass, and on this forum a response to an earlier inquiry suggested a range of sizes were in production.  Of course I want to believe this is a Benny Motzfeldt / Hadeland example of large proportions - but have no documentation to support that hope.  At any rate, enjoy the image!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Benny Motzfeldt Hadeland Cheese Cover with Board - Size Range?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 08:47:29 PM »
The 1967 catalogue doesn't give any dimensions but I suggest that the handle is too short and stumpy on yours looking at the photo in the catalogue. The range the cheese dome belongs to is called Benny

Offline mbmb

• Members

Offline Panda

• Members
    • U.S.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 11:54:54 PM »
Christine and mbmb (Mary?) - Thank you for sharing your resources and your expertise! I see what you mean about the form of my dome being somewhat stumpy.  The domes on the Norwegian site (thank you, mbmb for the reference!) are more artfully attenuated.  Now I'm filled with questions:  What other glass houses knocked off Benny domes on boards?  What was the degree of acceptable variation in a given form  allowed by Benny Motzfeldt herself, or Hadeland to go to market?  I recall the glassblowers at Simon Pearce comparing forms in progress to various jigs to measure and attain conformance... yet in the SP shop I saw pitchers or vases in a particular form have noticeable slight variation across the group arranged on a tabletop for sale.  Simon Pearce had a "seconds" grouping of forms not up to snuff, yet for sale -- did that happen with Hadeland? Does anyone even know? 

Well, not a Benny, but still nice - and at least I can use it for cakes or stacks of cookies without fear!

Pat

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 09:26:10 AM »
The ones in the link don't look like the catalogue either

Offline Panda

• Members
    • U.S.
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 02:26:02 PM »
Beautiful catalog scan, Christine! Thank you for taking the time to create and post it.  :) :)

To me, the catalog example is even more attenuated at the "handle" and has a decidedly flattened ball finial.

Again, the bothersome question of what actually went to market from Hadeland in terms of acceptable variation from the prototype....

Pat

Offline mbmb

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 06:40:00 PM »
Hi

Here

http://www.fuglen.no/lifestyle/vintage-design/category/dining-wining/cheese-container-benny-motzfeldt/

http://www.qxl.no/pris/samleobjekter-antikviteter-kunst/keramikk-porselen-og-glass/glass/osteklokke-fra-hadeland-og-benny-motzfeldt/v/an805270026/

are a couple of pics of Benny cheese domes with original Hadeland stickers. The domes were hand crafted, not machine made, so variations would occur. The sticker was of course the seal of approval, but many would be worn off eventually.

Over the years you would also see a difference in trays. Feedback from buyers and dealers sometimes prompted small design changes to make objects more user friendly. I think your cheese dome is the real thing.

By the way, I’m male and don’t answer to the name Mary...

all the best
mbmb

_

Offline Panda

• Members
    • U.S.
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 07:25:33 PM »
Oh, dear, mbmb, my apologies for misguessing - I thought I recognized your ID from another board.  Oops. 

So - I see a big difference in the "length" or "height" of the "handle" (so many quotes!) between the examples among those illustrated on mbmb's links.  No sticker on mine, I'm afraid. 

I keep trying to solve the identity crisis. Now am wondering what overall weight of the glass domes might tell us if surveyed comparatively.  Not that precise amounts were taken onto the rod, or sheared off at the end of creating.  But it's another data point, and might vary considerably by glass formula (or might not.)

Pat

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand