No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID for Chunky Green Ashtray? ID = Bor Glassworks (Borské sklo) Pavel Hlava  (Read 1998 times)

Offline stephenpounder

• Members
Hi....I've just bought this chunky green ashtray.

Initially I thought it could be Sklo Union but they tend to be pressed glass.

It is 8cm high, 12cm in diameter and has a polished pontil.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: Chunky Green Ashtray - ID request
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 03:39:07 PM »
Czech it is, produced by Bor Glassworks, designed by Pavel Hlava, late sixties.

Offline stephenpounder

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 03:43:41 PM »
Thanks Greg......I bow to your knowledge..I just seem drawn to Bohemian glass..

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 04:19:01 PM »
Hi Greg  - I notice that I've copied Jindrich, who has one with a label, which says Crystalex   -  is this name one and the same as Bor Glassworks?      Don't think this design is in Mark Hill's book. :)

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 05:02:18 PM »
Hi Paul, good question. When ever I've seen this particular design its is nearly always referred to as 'Crystalex/Bor Glassworks' with both names being referenced. I'm not sure of the exact history between the two, however, always thought they were basically the same, or at the very least strongly entwined.

This particular design is shown on page 34 of Mark Hills book, in the form of a vase, however, I gather this specific design was produced in a number of different forms, the ashtray being one.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 05:10:24 PM »
thanks Greg  -  I've had a blue and green ashtray over the past couple of years, neither with a label, unfortunately, although never seen the design on anything else.           Seems I missed seeing this design on the vase - thanks for the reminder.

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 05:14:57 PM »
Just had a quick look at the current Crystalex website, some interesting info on their background/evolution, as with many of these companies, they certainly seem to have been through a few changes over the years......

http://www.crystalex.cz/en/section/91-upturn.html

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: ID for Chunky Green Ashtray? ID = Bor Glassworks (Borské sklo) Pavel Hlava
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 10:08:13 PM »
A classic design, found in many many colours, including clear and several sizes of vase. Here are two fairly commonly found examples. There is also a charger-plate in this pattern, that is not so often seen. The website link gives a good basic history of Crystalex. The industrial changes that occured during communism, can be complicated and confusing for people today, trying to figure out labels on vintage glass or similar issues.

Robert (bOBA)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: ID for Chunky Green Ashtray? ID = Bor Glassworks (Borské sklo) Pavel Hlava
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 08:12:44 AM »
beautiful pieces Robert - thanks for the information.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand