No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help please with maker of this glass fish- Czech? ID = Wedgwood  (Read 2634 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Help please with maker of this glass fish- could it be Czech
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 11:42:11 AM »
in the attached picture it's easy to think we are seeing the bird as being a different colour compared to the decanter  -  the latter being definitely topaz.
But.... the real answer may well be more simple insofar as our perception of the colour depends solely on the thickness of the glass - the thinner it is then the more pale will appear the colour, and vice versa  -  assuming of course that we start with the same colour.             If a colour is distributed uniformly throughout the thickness of glass then obviously it's going to appear darker as thickness increases.

So  -  these amber/brownish colour/shades etc. may all simply be variations of topaz. :)

Edited to add......   sorry, to be candid do not consider the second 'fish' to be an improvement  -  why the fussy background  -  looks better with simply a plain white contrast. ;) ;)       

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 03:37:20 PM »
I have spent some time today looking at several pieces of my own Wedgwood glass in what I have always referred to as Amber, mainly because I can see no discernible difference apart from, as you say Paul, the thickness of the glass itself.  I have seen a much lighter honey tone (it was a Labrador type dog) in Wedgwood glass, that I have always assumed was the Topaz that is often referred to in descriptions,  but now on looking at Thistleblower's site where there are a number of pieces in this Amber/Topaz colour way, I note that they refer to this colour as Topaz, and there is only one piece they call Amber, it is a seal, and in the picture it looks to be no different to the Topaz! 
So at the moment, the jury is out as to the correct name for the colour,  but I have written to ask if there is a difference and will come back with any answer I get.
As to the conclusion that Emmis Dolphin is not a second, this is because I can see no reason for it to be classified as such.  It looks perfect, and the absence of a Wedgwood England sand blasted name on the pontil mark is not unusual. Many Wedgwood pieces had both the mark and a label,  others were just labelled and these very often were removed either purposefully or accidentally by fastidious owners, who may have felt that the label spoiled the look of what, after all, was bought as a display ornament in the first instance. It is only now that we. as collector.s covet a label as proof of identity....although that is not always the case, but that is a different tack that we have all discussed before.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 03:49:25 PM »
Whilst still in Wedgwood mode, it has occurred to me that we are assuming there were never any variations in colour batches of glass, and this may be the case and therefor a simple explanation of the variation in colour, other than the sheer thickness of the glass itself.
What is intriguing me is, did Wedgwood name two different shades of this Honey brown colour , one as Topaz and the other as Amber,  or is there just one definitive name Topaz, and the other, Amber, become an urban myth and is not a Wedgwood named colour at all???  I want to know myself, as I collect Wedgwood animals.
On with the search for the truth! :)
Rosie.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 04:21:33 PM »
I think they are two different ambers, Topaz has a slight 'pinkish' sort of tone. I believe the hippo is amber and the 'stick topaz.

John

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 08:09:11 PM »
I have heard back from Joanne at Thistleblower... she is away at the moment and will double check when she returns, but is of the same opinion as you Paul, that it is Topaz and the thickness of the glass defines the effect.
There is a pink speckled amber colour in Wedgwood glass, (I have a cat in that colour way) and the speckles are very very subtle, unlike most of the other speckled glass in Wedgwood. It gives a pinkish hue to the amber/topaz colour and is in fact very pretty and suits the cat well. 
I have a plain topaz coloured one as well,  so when I get a moment I will photograph them together so the difference can be seen.
I have a wonderful new Lightbox gifted to me by Dirk so as soon as I have figured out the best light to use I will use these two cats to photograph them.  Incidentally neither of them are marked, but appear in Susan Tobin's book. Quite different from the usual cat we associate with Wedgwood.
Rosie.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 09:20:58 PM »
thanks Rosie  -   looking again in Susan Tobins book at the appendix covering animals, the lady makes no mention anywhere of 'amber', but she does use the word 'brown'  -  but I've no idea whether she is implying an opaque colour, or something translucent like topaz.

I always think the parrot looks very impressive  -  although not seen one in the flesh so to speak, perhaps it's rare.

I only pick up the animals if they're cheap at boot sales - I expect they'll all go out to a charity shop some day - but I do seriously collect the early RSW vases and the commemorative goblets are attractive.    Both of his books are worth having  -  a lot of 1950's Scandi material and European cut and engraved pieces.

Please Dirk, may I have a light box too ;D  (only joking)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 09:28:57 PM »
Well when you are selling your animals Paul, Auntie Rosie is always interested if it is one she hasn't got!  You can always give the money to charity if you would have given them to one of their shops in the first place.  I am always telling them what the pieces they are selling are.... helps them make a little more.
I think the name amber is an eBay myth, like WedgEwood!! 
Rosie.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 02:12:23 PM »
I think the definitions of "topaz" and "amber" are clearly made within online dictionaries and wiki references.

NOT  :)
KevinH

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 04:29:04 PM »
Could be wrong, but my interpretation of Rosie's comments, Kevin, about myth's seemed to be in the context of Wedgwood only - and according to Susan Tobin's book, this factory did not use the colour amber - although well aware that many other makers did.   
Amber in particular must be one of the most all encompassing words when applied to colour, and you'd probably get as many different interpretations as there are GMB members  -  and if you think that's confusing you should look at the OED's entry for topaz ;D

Of course Rosie might now tell me she wasn't speaking specifically of Wedgwood. ;)

Sorry to hear that you aren't smiling :) ;)

I guess it's time to revise Emmi's subject heading and send to British glass?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand