No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Malta Decorative Glass Ltd opening and closing dates !  (Read 21699 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Malta Decorative Glass Ltd opening and closing dates !
« on: September 20, 2014, 07:11:13 AM »
Pleased to say I have found out the opening and closing dates for Malta Decorative Glass ltd, please see this link......

http://www.timesofmalta.com/

You can search their archives here.

On page 13 of the Sunday Times of Malta dated December 6, 1981 there is a list of government factories and it states that Malta Decorative Glass opened in 1974 and closed in 1978 . In the Times of Malta you can see various adverts for trainees and a production manager is advertised on 18/12/1975. I think Boffo must have left Mdina prior to 1977 (perhaps 1974/5) .
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Re: Malta Decorative Glass Ltd opening and closing dates !
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 08:17:33 AM »
On Tuesday May 12 1970 page 5 of the Malta Times there is a piece on Mdina  with photo as in Mark Hill's book (page 23). You might have to subscribe to read it though.
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 11:03:03 AM »
I think I did find that article several years ago. I remember trawling through about 300 pages of archives, but latterly, I was unable to track it down - well done, Mike, that must have been some seriously tenatious searching.
But where does that leave us? Doubting Said's memory from the time he spoke to Wolfie?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 12:58:26 PM »
Cheers Sue, I might have to subscribe to this newspaper as there is even an advert for a Malta Decorative Glass 'Grand Sale' in 1975 !

I wonder if there are any personnel records at Mdina to back up what Said said ?
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 01:29:47 PM »
I would doubt it. Said appears to prefer to make out that Mdina is entirely his and his family's doing, only.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 05:07:04 PM »
Hi, that date of 1977 was off the top of his head and I thought at the time it seemed a little late. I do think in reflection it could be a bit of a guess.
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 07:31:52 PM »
On Tuesday May 12 1970 page 5 of the Malta Times there is a piece on Mdina  with photo as in Mark Hill's book (page 23). You might have to subscribe to read it though.

Hi Mike,
 I have used the 15 day free trial and have downloaded the full page article. Makes very interesting reading and no where is Vicente Boffo mentioned . Ettore is however mentioned multiple times and described as the 'production manager'.
 I think the writer of article has got a few things wrong. There is this 'Michael Harris and Ettore steal the show by swift movements of their hands' ....... Ettore was not a highly skilled glassblower and was his father's servitor whilst at Whitefriars.
 Further investigation needed.

Regards,
              Patrick.
Ps Mike , I will email you the article .

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 09:33:54 PM »
Thanks very much Patrick,

Very interesting, there is no mention of Vicente ! The photo does show Ettore though and the article suggests that he was very much part of the three man team that set up Mdina .

Fascinating to say the least !

Cheers Mike :)
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 10:34:27 AM »
The Boffos did not go to Malta until Mdina had already been set up.

The furnaces were up and running, glass was being made, by late summer, '68; the Boffos did not arrive until October '69.

(Mark Hill's book, pp 21-4)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 11:17:03 AM »
On Tuesday May 12 1970 page 5 of the Malta Times there is a piece on Mdina

Hi Sue,
 The article appeared on this date when both Vicente and Ettore should have been working there.........

Regards,
               Patrick.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand