No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: PY weight just for interest  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Tony G

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • UK
PY weight just for interest
« on: September 24, 2014, 11:25:45 AM »
Hi,
       I got this Paul Ysart weight a couple of weeks ago, about 1 hour before Kevin saw it. It was an impulse purchase from the paperweight artist Jim Brown as I had never before seen this style. Checked the PCC PY exhibition catalogue later and there is no similar one in there.

I think Kevin said that there were only a few of this style made. I feel really guilty at having snapped this up from under his nose. So one day, it may find its way into his collection when  he finds something equally interesting to swap.

Tony

PS Sorry about the reflections etc.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
Re: PY weight just for interest
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 06:09:15 PM »
 Hi Toni,

Oh! I missed it too... I arrived too late and I did not even see it...

I have been looking for one too. Ah! well!!! Never mind... There is another example of this model in Scotland glass with a numbered label. It was n. 13.

SophieB

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 07:17:55 PM »
Tony's weight may seem familiar to some of us. It appeared in Toovey's auction room in 2002. I think it was in a Lot with a PY Harland Flower weight. It is interesting that it came back to the UK via an American paperweight maker!

The "Interlaced Garland" (or, more accurately "Interlaced Trefoils") pattern is, indeed, uncommon within Ysart weights. [The basic pattern is quite well known from antique French weights.]

An alternative form of the design is sometimes called a "Looped Garland" or "Chain Garland", and these can have the same canes for both "sides" of the loop or a set of different canes for each "side". In these versions, the loops are separated by another cane.

[Sophie's reference above to the no. 13 weight shows a "Looped Garland" example with alternating same colour loops. Direct link here.]

I am not sure, but I think there are only two "Ysart" examples of the Interlaced / Looped pattern illustrated in general books.

One example (unsigned) is of the "Looped Garland" style with alternating same-cane loops. Instead of a millefiori central pattern, it has a cane-wing butterfly and even with no signature it is clearly a Paul Ysart weight. It appeared in the 1940 book, Old Glass Paperweights by Evangeline H. Bergstrom. It is also shown in colour in the 1969 book of weights in the Bergstrom-Mahler Museum. In Old Glass Paperweights, it was shown in a section for "Bristol" and was not removed from the later edition of the book, unlike two signed PY weights which were originally thought at the time to be by an "unknown French maker".

Another book, Paperweights, by Sibyille Jargstorf shows an Interlaced Garland version on page 167, but is included as "possibly Vasart" (which, I would suggest, implies a likely Salvador Ysart item).

For those who have a copy of the catalogue of the PCC 2013 Ysart Exhibition, page 85, in the section for "Salvador Ysart & Ysart Brothers (Vasart)", shows an unsigned Interlaced Garland weight. Like the weight in Jargstorf's book, I believe it was made by Salvador Ysart.

Another unsigned "Looped Garland" weight is held in Perth Museum & Art Gallery. A thumbnail image is freely available in the site: www.scran.ac.uk - use the search facility to locate "000-000-591-491-C", or search for "ysart" and select page 4. That weight is attributed to Paul Ysart.

Does anyone know of other references to these patterns by the Ysart men?
KevinH

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 09:52:24 PM »
Hi Kevin,

Many thanks for these explanations. It is really interesting.

SophieB

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 05:23:50 PM »
Hi all,

Toni - I did not even thank you for posting the pictures which was very remiss of me.So, thank you for sharing  :).

Kevin - I have now had time to look up the various examples you identified in the literature (I did not remember the Bergstrom example - it is very nice indeed). However, I wanted to ask further information: I am not sure whether you agree with the attribution of the example in the Jargstorf book. On balance, I thought it was Paul's rather than Salvador's (the canes look PY to me). I know it is not always easy to tell them apart. What do you think?

SophieB

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 12:01:41 AM »
I am not sure whether you agree with the attribution of the example in the Jargstorf book.
I agree that "possible Vasart" (as stated in the book) is a better attribution than "possible Paul Ysart".

On balance, I thought it was Paul's rather than Salvador's (the canes look PY to me). I know it is not always easy to tell them apart. What do you think?
The canes themselves may look like PY ones but the colour balance of the elements, with the particular shades of pinks, blues and yellows, is, I believe more in keeping with early "Salvador" / "Vasart".

I have yet to find a match to the exact canes in the interlaced garland (and also the central cane, which is the same as one for the garland). But the dark blue canes used in the inner row do have a match in a weight I have which I believe was made by Salvador.

In addition, the setting of the canes is not as tidy as in the similar weights I have seen that were Paul's work. A main point is that none of the "trefoil threads" are set entirely evenly and the crossover points are not as tidy as in Paul's work.

Tony's example shows a much neater setting of all the canes, and that is what I recall from the other (albeit few) Paul Ysart examples I have seen.
KevinH

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 06:08:10 AM »
Hi Kevin,

Many thanks for this.

Sophie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia