No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian creamer maker help. ID = Hodgetts, Richardson & Pargeter  (Read 949 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Nicely made piece of glass, i think the lozenge mark dates the glass to the 28th of January 1870. Having posted something similar before i think the patent is probably in the handles and feet there the reverse of anything i have seen before in the typical celery type handles they are smooth on the outside and have the similar effect of air twist stems on the inside.

It's 14 cm in height.
Chris Parry

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Victorian creamer lozenge maker help please.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 08:37:43 AM »
I have all of the necessary pix, but something isn't quite right, so will need to dig a little deeper on this one Chris, and will come back  -  but in any case will you please re-check the lozenge details for me, as I can't read them on the screen, and the date you've given looks possibly to be something else.       thank you.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 10:42:57 AM »
looking again at your pix Chris, fairly certain the month is February - so the full date is for 28th February 1870.
The month letter is G and not C, and the parcel is No. 8

On this date there were two Registrations allocated to Hodgetts, Richardson & Pargeter  -  Rd. 239241 covering designs for 'handle and ornamentation for ewer and bowl'  -  and Rd. 239242 in respect of similar designs for 'handle and ornamentation for jug and goblet'.
No items other than handles and feet are shown in these images  -  and the designs were the ever popular shell ribbed patterns  -  which seemed to have been Registered by most manufacturers.   

All the above details are shown in Mervyn Gulliver's book - page 262.              In the same book - page 64 -  there is a photo showing these shell ribbed decorative features (on feet only), and accompanied by a lozenge for 12th January 1870.          Can someone suggest why the same design for shell ribbing appears to have been Registered twice, unless I'm missing something. :)

Very nice jug by the way.       

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 12:28:35 PM »
I had meant to suggest this was moved to British  -  not quite sure why it was posted in Glass. :)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 01:20:44 PM »
Glass is the proper place to ask about glass of unknown origin, Paul. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 01:57:33 PM »
Lovely little creamer - so much quality and attention to detail.

Like Paul, though, I can’t really see why Hodgetts, Richardson & Pargeter went to the trouble (and, presumably, expense) of registering RDs 239421 and 239422  when there is so little apparent difference between the two designs.

Just for reference, articles bearing the lozenge for Hodgetts, Richardson & Pargeter’s RD 238052 of 12 January 1870 have been shown and discussed on the GMB at

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,23030.msg129899.html#msg129899

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,53305.msg302663.html#msg302663

Fred.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: Victorian creamer maker help. ID = Hodgetts, Richardson & Pargeter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 05:18:54 PM »
Thanks very much everybody for your help.
Chris Parry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand