No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars Lichen Glass Vase - Shape Help Required  (Read 1668 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Whitefriars Lichen Glass Vase - Shape Help Required
« on: October 11, 2014, 03:41:24 PM »
Hi All,

Can't seem to locate this Whitefriars Lichen (pewter with green swirls) glass vase in the 1970s catalogues. Standard ground and polished WF pontil mark to the base and clear casing.

Measures 5.75 inches tall and 3.5 inches wide across the base. Heavy for size at 1120 grams.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Greg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Re: Whitefriars Lichen Glass Vase - Shape Help Required
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 06:07:49 PM »
Interesting piece Greg don't immediately recognise but that's not always a bad thing.
Have you got access to the 1970 cat ?
Oddly the 3 colours Aurora, Lichen and Marine all appear to be crossed out ?
A couple of catalogues on here that are missing from the w/f .com site.
The '71 supplement used to be available on the old .org site but is now incomplete.
Also did a range of streaky blue.green and amber in the '71 supplement.
I have access to the '70 and '71 price list's and the work books will have a dig around see what I can find out here is a link to the '70 cat.
Definitely made some I had an Aurora bowl a while since.

http://www.whitefriarsorg.co.uk/whitefriars-cat-1970.php

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 06:24:58 PM »
A quick look in the '70 price list shows A. L. M and gives pattern numbers 9744-53 on page 3

https://picasaweb.google.com/117839260238336349011/Pricelists1970?noredirect=1#6036387827567161730

No A. L. or M in the '71 price list though.

A bit 'thrown' also I knew the applied spots were on pewter but assumed the lichen was streaky on clear? The Aurora was cased in clear

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 07:13:36 PM »
Thanks Chris,  I thought the shape looked unusual.

I had a look through the 1970 catalogue earlier and couldn’t find a match (I had noticed the Aurora, Lichen and Marine, had been crossed out - I did wonder why)

At least it narrows it down, if Aurora, Lichen and Marine, don’t appear in the 1971 price list!

Looking at the 1970 price list you kindly linked to, it looks like they only produced 5 vases in those colours. Of these 9745 and 9747 appear to be documented and aren’t a match. 9744 at 8 inches appears to be too tall (even with variations). That leaves 9746 and 9748 at 5 and 5.5 inches respectively, at present I haven’t located a picture of these to rule them in or out.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 09:32:33 AM »
Found a little more information if you have a look in Ray Annenberg work book for 1970 page 3 he made a number of 9745, 46, 47, 51 and 52
Ray is still around and could maybe be contacted through the  W/f .com site.

https://picasaweb.google.com/117839260238336349011/RayAnnenberg1970?noredirect=1#5352108788890529218

Also Ronnie Wilkinson work book for 1970 shows on page 5 he made 9746, 47 and 48 in Pewter with Kingfisher streaks.
Depending on how serious and how much time you have lots of new information is coming to light through the price lists and work books.
If it is Whitefriars these are very rare and rarely come up for sale and make 3 figures
If it is an experimental piece even better.

https://picasaweb.google.com/117839260238336349011/RonnieWilkinson1970?noredirect=1#5352099976405769474

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 03:17:52 PM »
Many thanks for your efforts Chris.  :)

Looking at patterns numbers 9744 through to 9752 in the 1970 workbooks, it looks like these pieces were produced in small numbers. Interestingly, it also looks like the majority were blown in the first week of February (only Boffo appears to have blown a number outside of this week). Of course this is a selection of 4 blowers working at Whitefriars at that time.

I’ve collated the attached information on these pattern numbers (just in case it’s of interest/use to anyone else). Where I’ve had difficulty reading handwriting I’ve used a (?) to denote. When I get a chance, I’ll have a look through subsequent year work books and see if there is any other information, pertaining to these pattern numbers, if there is, I will update.

I can rule out 9744 (at 8 inches), 9745 and 9747 (incorrect shape) for my vase, but not being able to see what 9746 and 9748 look like I can’t rule these in or out at present, however there isn't an exact match based on the attached collated information.

It would be good to understand if the shape of my vase matches either one of these two patterns or if it is a non-production piece. Would anyone be able to shed some light on these 2 pattern numbers? I will (as suggested) try to contact Ray through the WF.com and report back if I do get any more information.

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 11:36:42 AM »
Just had another look through the 1970s catalogue. I see that there is actually an image of 9748, which can be discounted as the shape is not right.

There is also another image underneath showing 2 vases, however, without the pattern numbers. I suspect one of these is possibly 9746. Again the shape does not match my example.

Looking at the price lists for 1969, 71 and 72, to double check, this set of patterns only appears to have been produced in 1970.  With Lichen only being produced across these few patterns, I'm inclined to think that it may be an uncatalogued piece.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 07:48:01 PM »
Nearest shape to it is this Cirrus vase but they were 3 colours this one is Aqua with gold and sky blue swirls.
Could try a word with Jp who is a big friend of Ray's he may be able to help.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?action=profile;u=3770

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 10:23:25 AM »
Thanks for the picture Chris.

I added a post on the WF site, hopefully, someone may be able to help. It would be nice to know a little bit more about this piece.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand