No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Understanding some explanations in The Crystal Years - STevens and Williams book  (Read 406 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I'm trying to work through the explanation in The Crystal Years page 14 about Stevens and Williams and applied decoration.
It's very oddly worded (apologies to the author), in my opinion, in certain sections where the explanation is so vague that I'm having difficulty trying to ascertain specifics.

On page 14 it says:
'... where lampworkers were making wonderfully proportioned flowers and animals for local glass firms'.  Does this mean they were supplying lampworked ornaments of animals and flowers for sale by local glass firms? or does it mean that they were supplying them to glass firms to stick onto their vases? (if so, how on earth were they stuck on?  Wouldn't that process make the glass crack on the piece being applied as it is applied cold to a hot worked piece?  - having thought about it, it wouldn't be possible to stick a lampworked piece on a hot glass piece would it? )

On page 15 it says with no  understandable explanatory preamble:
'Leaves and flowers although handmade and good, did not suit either Stevens and Williams or John, so in 1885 a number of hand tools were developed in order to mould leaves and flowers separately'.
???? Sorry, I find this confusingly written.  If Leaves and flowers did not suit them why did they develop hand tools to mould leaves and flowers?
And does this imply that leaves and flowers were being made separately to apply to pieces at a factory?  Or does it imply that leaves and flowers were being produced as ornaments in their own right and Stevens and Williams didn't like them but did like the idea of making their own to be produced on hot glass pieces as they were being made?

I hope I've explained that properly.

There is reference on page 14 as well, to animals being produced by local lampworkers, but I can't find any reference to animals being applied to Stevens and Williams pieces specifically.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand