No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina and the Boffos  (Read 46601 times)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
Mdina and the Boffos
« on: October 20, 2014, 06:18:53 PM »
It has always been said Vicente Boffo and Ettore Boffo left Whitefriars and went to Mdina together in 1970.
With my on-going research I can say for certain this is not correct and in fact Ettore went before Vicente. I’m not sure how long before but quite possibly in 1969.

Here are the details.

27/9/69 - At Whitefriars Ettore stops being Vicente servitor and was replaced by Jim Munnelly. After this there is no sign of Ettore in any of the WF workbooks.

12/5/70 - Malta Times Mdina article, Ettore is mentioned a lot with a pic of Ettore working in a chair. No mention of Vicente.

20/6/70 - Vicente leaves Whitefriars.

14/8/71 - Munnelly stops being servitor to Ray Annenberg. (Joins Mdina to fill the gap after the early death of Ettore)

The Malta Times article which I quote; “Mr Dobson hoped they will be allowed to employ another ex-patriot craftsmen in the near future” has to be referring to the arrival of Vicente.

There are also some other interesting facts in this article that state Ettore was a partner with Eric Dobson and Michael Harris and also that his title was Production Manager.

I hope this helps with timings at Mdina, Wolfie
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Re: Mdina and the Boffos
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 12:28:02 AM »
What a great piece of research Wolfie !

Perhaps they weren't 'allowed' to employ both father and son at the start (some sort of limit on workers from abroad perhaps)  , that's why one went out before the other .

The article in the 'Times of Malta' does state ...." The concept is the brainchild of Michael Harris, 36, who launched the glass together with his partners Eric Dobson ,37 and Ettore Boffo, 28 ."
Mike

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 06:30:51 AM »
Newspaper evidence may be subject to journalistic licence, so should be taken with a pinch of salt; partner may or may not be true along with whether or not Ettore was production manager. You have to big up a three man band...

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 09:11:15 AM »
Hi,
 Perhaps Ettore was headhunted from Whitefriars with the promised title of 'Production Manager'...... to get his father Vicente the offer might have been 'God'.... :)

The Whitefriars dates found by Wolfie Rayner have given a great insight into start up of Mdina along with Baked Beans 'Malta Times' article.

Regards,
                  Patrick.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 09:53:29 AM »
I'm not disputing the value of the information just advising caution. I've spent far too many years in publishing and looking at press releases where the facts never get in the way of a good story

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 11:08:21 AM »
I agree Christine but its good to have facts concerning the dates. It has long been said that the Boffo's went out together and this has now been proved wrong. Who knows what position was offered to Ettore, Production Manager over the trainees maybe?
The only person that might know some details is Jim Munnelly and I have a friend that knows him and 'yes' Im already asking!!!

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 11:39:35 AM »
Thank you Wolfie, very much appreciated :)
I shall print this off and stick it in my book  - these were my previous questions on this information
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,45680.msg256023.html#msg256023
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,41620.msg256071.html#msg256071

m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 11:46:29 AM »
where the facts never get in the way of a good story

Or for that matter a deadline...

Having been peripherally involved in several incidents that made the press (mostly cave rescues) I know that what was printed was at best gibberish. Sometimes as a result of laziness but generally it seemed that objective truth was irrelevant and just got in the way of the story and the agenda of the reporter or editor.

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 12:24:39 PM »
With reference Christine's comment on journalistic licence, indeed clearly this sentence, from earlier in the thread, is not correct (see the underlined bit) according to Mark Hill's book ...

'The article in the 'Times of Malta' does state ...." The concept is the brainchild of Michael Harris, 36, who launched the glass together with his partners Eric Dobson ,37 and Ettore Boffo, 28 ."'

... as the 'glass was launched' in 1968 by Michael Hill and Eric Dobson before Ettore Boffo arrived.
page 19 of Mark Hill's book says
'Even though production had not begun, the business had been officially announced to the trade in England and Europe, and the company had to be promoted.  To this end, both Dobson and Michael had attended the annual International Gifts Fair held in Blackpool in February 1968.'
And on page 20
'... In late summer 1968, the furnaces were lit and word went around that the new glass company was about to begin work,...'
m

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 12:38:51 PM »
Thanks Flying Free, I hadn't seen that previous thread. There is obviously a mistake in Mark Hills book concerning the arrival of Vicente, the workbooks are not wrong :) Im also friends with Mick Payne who was a 'boy' on V Boffos chair at WF and he arrived 11/4/70 and became good friends with Vicente.
Also Mark Hill talks about repetitive tedious work Vicente was doing at WF, implying that's why he left etc, I think this statement is not exactly correct either. He did make Thorn light shades but Vicente was making (and doubtless helping with the design of) the very exciting 'Peter Wheeler' Studio Range in 1969-70. And these designs of course had influences over several Mdina pieces he made.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand