No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help please on a new puchase......... Lollipop vase.  (Read 8849 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Help please on a new puchase......... Lollipop vase.
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 06:23:56 PM »
That is decidedly new-ish, it's the contemporary very "flat" sort of decor inside; the "yellow" tends to be a pale cream, the browns decidedly brown, no reds. Even if you don't recognise the new execution of the pattern, it's easily identifiable by the late mark on the base and the plastic label, which puts it into the '90s.
Nothing to do with any Boffo, just a contemporary take on one of the original Harris designs which is still made today, as is "Crystal Blue Stripe" which originally had no name, and Marble, the new "take" on Dobson's Tiger.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 06:40:16 PM »
Hi Sue, I knew it was nothing to do with Boffo but do you think it is then contemporary with Patricks lollipop, ie not MDG but late Mdina? also what is that number on the base? Also i can see quite a bit of red in that vase?
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 07:41:38 PM »
I haven't a clue about the lollipop. We need to wait until it arrives and decent pics can be taken which show how the enamels work, also so that Patrick can get a good feel for it.

The many bubbles in the casing would suggest early rather than current for the lollipop, but I honestly cannot be 100% certain without better images.

I hope the lollipop is going to turn out to be early Mdina or MDG, I'm fairly sure it will, but until I can see better images, there is no point in speculating.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 09:08:28 PM »
Hi Sue,
Thank you for your considered reply and it gives me hope...............  I can see why 'WhatHo' provided the link to that Ebay sale and I had not spotted the casing lacked the 'Streamed Bubbles'.
 Today I realized that I am not going to be able to come to the fair......... I am really upset about that, but can do nothing about it. :( :( :(

Best wishes,

Patrick.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 11:54:25 AM »
My only real but very small worry is that it might turn out to be a good piece of contemporary Chinese - something completely and outrageously wrong, that just happens to mimic the Boffo style of Earthtones.
The photos really worry me. I don't like them, but if I had beeen interested in it, I'd have taken the risk, especially for only E50.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 10:34:53 PM »
WhatHo! the Mdina vase you link to with numbers on it read 6007.

I don't know anything about this glass but to me that lollipop colour doesn't look anything like the link you provide here  :-\
https://plus.google.com/photos/107067405711297858658/albums/5798389320540696673

the colours in the vase linked are paler whereas the lollipop shape vase is more toffee coloured throughout.  Also the vase linked has some lovely meshy bubble type effect in whereas the lollipop doesn't appear to have that effect.
I'm really looking forward to seeing fresh pics of the lollipop to see how close it is to the vase you linked with new pics :)
Photography can be really weird and I just can't see the same decor 'effect' between them though I can see they are both similar decor if you see what I mean.
m

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 10:46:01 AM »
For the record the one in the google link is to my Picasa album I know longer have the piece but in my humble opinion it is a Boffo piece Patrick.

Chris

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 10:58:53 AM »
Here's his brother I will add the photos permanently for the record think you can see the lines better in this one m :)
A quick word of warning when buying Patrick they both sold for 'peanuts' cost more to ship them.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 11:01:29 AM »
The one in the link

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 07:18:27 PM »
Lovely pictures Chris and thank you for adding them to the board :)
In both those pieces I can see lovely swirly mesh effect and a subtle ochre colour.
I wonder if the lollipop will show those effects when it arrives and is rephotographed.  I just couldn't see those effects in it.  It looked more flat toned and looked as though it had more toffee colour inside the squares if you see what I mean.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand