No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Camer Glass?? Murano Lighter??  (Read 645 times)

Offline Ronde

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antique Glass
    • United States
Camer Glass?? Murano Lighter??
« on: November 03, 2014, 07:30:51 AM »
Hello, I got this cigarette lighter, leaf bowl and candy dish from my grandmother. It says Camer Glass New York. I have looked and looked and can't find anything like what I have. I think it may be Murano?? Has anyone else seen anything like what I have or know anything about it? Thinking about selling.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Camer Glass?? Murano Lighter??
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 02:34:44 PM »
Hi and welcome!  :)
Your pieces do appear to be Italian, I would think that "Camer Glass" might have been the name of the shop where they were bought?

We don't really do valuations here - they're far too subjective, but I would think the lighter is what is known as "Facon de Venise"; and by a good maker (possibly one of the Salviati's or a Toso) and may have some age to it. It might be worth a little bit, if the condition is good, but don't contemplate retiring. Maybe a nice meal out. ;)

The other two bits are nice enough, but not worth very much.

I'm not an Italian glass person, there will be somebody else who knows a lot more than I do along soon enough, who will be able to tell you a bit more than I can.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 03:09:17 PM »
Camer Glass was an importer of glass and specialized in lighting fixtures that were primarily made in Murano, Italy, and the Czech republic. I know they were in business in NY in the 70's but I fear they're no longer around as many of these companies have vanished. I think I was in their showroom at 230 Fifth Ave a couple of times in the 70's. That building used to be the showroom home of many lighting companies during that era.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 10:44:47 PM »
The items look like they could be from the 1950s or thereabouts. The green and white bowl is from Fratelli Toso, the same shape, pattern and colours shown in Leslie Pina's book Fratelli Toso. I don't know who made the leaf like bowl and lighter but Barovier and Toso could be one suspect.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ronde

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antique Glass
    • United States
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 12:56:21 AM »
Thank you so much for all your help. It's really appreciated :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand