No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Yellow lobed bowl with applied berries and leaves  (Read 613 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Yellow lobed bowl with applied berries and leaves
« on: November 16, 2014, 07:11:45 PM »
Heavy lobed bowl, appr. 19 cm wide, with two rasperry prunts and leaves with gold foil.
Quite unusual acid yellow colour fadind to clear towards the centre.

Polished pontil mark, rigaree around the stand.

My best guess would be Barovier & Toso, regarding the lobed shape and the applied decoration.

Thanks for any help with age / maker! :)

Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tonyatl

• Members
Re: Yellow lobed bowl with applied berries and leaves
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 02:47:27 AM »
I am no glass expert, but my instincts argue against an attribution to barovier e toso. while the lobes are suggestive of their work, they seem too regular and formulaic for bv. the majority of works I have seen by bv have more complicated glass designs, and the applied leaves seem too fussy for their tastes. however, as a long time glass maker, their styles are certain to be many and varied.

fortunately they are a well documented maker, so you should be able to find closely comparable works readily to prove or disprove the hypothesis. even though I would not go so far as claiming bv authorship, I would agree that Italian is a reasonable guess.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Yellow lobed bowl with applied berries and leaves
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 03:05:11 PM »
Thanks tonyatl! :)

I tend to agree, after doing quite a bit of searching, that it is probably not Barovier. I found a few pieces online with similar applied decor and more "recent"-looking generic paper labels.
But I would still think that it is from Murano...

Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand