No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Davidson glass flower frogs  (Read 1062 times)

Offline MHT

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • English Pressed Glass
    • Cumbria
    • Victorian Pressed Glass
Davidson glass flower frogs
« on: November 25, 2014, 02:00:35 PM »
A friend recently gave me a 7.5" brown cloud glass flower block to go with a 8.5" clear one I already had.

On the cloud Glass Reference Site page on flower blocks it says that Davidson made the blocks in sizes ranging from 2.5" to 10".
http://www.cloudglass.com/Frogs.htm

I have read and re-read the Davidson patent, 7830, referenced on this page referring to the blocks and I still cannot work out exactly how they were made.

The large clear block is 10.5" wide and about 5.5" high. It has 49 'holes' most of which go to the bottom of the block. But a lot of the holes are 'undercut', you can put a finger up inside the hole before it goes down, or they go in then turn 90 degrees before going down. Difficult to explain. I can see that it was made in two moulds but I can't see how. The glass between the holes is almost paper thin, it's like a glass cathedral in there, an amazing piece of moulded glass.

Anyone any more ideas on how they were made?

The 8.5" is big, does anyone have a 10" one.

I may regret that last line  :-[
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

www.victorianpressedglass.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Davidson glass flower frogs
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 02:49:22 PM »
Think of it like cooking an egg sunny side down.The first mould forms the shape of the base and sides and creates the holes. The glass plops over into the second mould and sags down to form the curved top (the base, ex-top, and sides are cool enough to stay fixed) and stretch the holes

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: Davidson glass flower frogs
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 09:10:31 PM »
At one of the last antique fairs I have gone to there has been a large amber cloud glass bowl complete with its 10" amber cloud glass block. The block was quite badly cracked and priced far to high for me to consider buying as big is not always best for selling as not many people have a house large enough to show such pieces. But it was nice to see a 10" amber cloud glass block which was a first for me.

Roy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand