No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stourbridge threaded small jug  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Stourbridge threaded small jug
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 02:56:26 PM »
yes, assumed so  -   presumably not a lot unlike the Krys-Tol/Jefferson u. custard glass, although perhaps that was more yellow - yours look paler, so perhaps less u.

I don't see in any of the books specific reference to these small creamers doubling up as water jugs for whiskey - maybe just one of those unintended uses when it was found that they were either cheaper or more readily available.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 03:26:27 PM »
That is an interesting thought - how was the threading done right to the lip? I assume it was threaded to a flat, horizontal rim and the shape of the rim formed afterwards. Can you provide a close-up of the rim, Robert?
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 10:02:19 PM »
Thanks everyone. I initially thought it was possibly ribbed but it is definitely spiralled. Thanks for the comment on the "moire" effect David, very true. I cannot easily photograph the rim immediately but the raised threading seems near completely melted in near the rim. The jug is about 12cm maximum height. A fair bit of wear, weight and finish make me think Stourbridge. The photo of the vase with applied foot, similar to the jug, I mentioned earlier, as shown in the book by Charles Hadjamach seems to show similar tighter threading than shown on the other pieces in the same image, which are more conventionally threaded. The threading on that piece does not reach the rim though.... Perhaps this jug is a ribbed piece but it seemed plausible it could be a later development of machined threading. As different factories experimented, results could have varied. I appreciate the discussion of cream, creamer and whisky water jugs too..... Any photos or links to pieces with similar decor would be welcome,

Robert (bOBA)

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 01:09:30 AM »
http://gorgeousglass.org.uk/collections/getrecord/DMUSE_BH1591a/ This is a link to a similar looking, tightly threaded set from Hodgett-Richardson, as pictured in the book as discussed. The image may be enlarged.

Robert (bOBA)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 07:28:04 AM »
I think threading got quite sophisticated. I have quite a few threaded pieces, mostly tightly threaded and some more tughtly "stuck" than others. I hope this search link works

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 10:56:47 AM »
Great link Christine. The pieces you have labelled possible Richardson possible pieces are the most similar threading to my piece actually. As you suggest the application of threading varied widely. An under plate I have has threading damage and you could nearly pick it off with a fingernail. The piece in this thread by contrast, has threading bonded to the main body so tightly, it could never come off. The sides of the jusg even has tiny scratches suggesting somebody tried to use it erroneously as a matchstriker... still no damage to the threading... I will try to posy a picture of the underplate with delicate type threading....

Robert (bOBA) 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand