No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Okra Glass Scent Bottle - Stopper Modified?  (Read 2217 times)

Offline gjkelel

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • US
Okra Glass Scent Bottle - Stopper Modified?
« on: December 18, 2014, 07:11:10 PM »
Hi, I just found this site nad was hoping someone could help me.  I purchased this Okra Glass scent bottle off of ebay and in the picture I thought the stopper looked odd, but in person it really looks like someone modified it (possibly as a result of previous damage).  It is shinier and smoother than the rest of the stopper.  The seller identified it as "Icarus Wings", but I don't know if that is correct or not.  They do claim to have extensive knowledge with Okras Glass.  The bottom is etched with: Okra 1987 - BF ( or 13 ) TPSB - No 35.  Thanks for your help!  :)

Mod: seller's images removed as per board copyright policy from this post and the one further down the topic

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Okra Glass Scent Bottle - Stopper Modified?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 07:31:29 PM »
Hello and welcome, we have a number of Okra pieces but would need to see a close up of the stopper and a picture of the base if you would, don't recognise the initials but it does look like a genuine Okra piece, the stoppers do tend to be taller, see pictures, so it may have been ground down to cover some damage, ;D

Offline gjkelel

• Members
    • US
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 07:41:14 PM »
Here is a picture of the bottom from the listing.  I will post some more pics when I get home tonight.  Thanks for your help!  The seller said this item was in excellent condition so if the stopper is modified I'd like to at least get a partial refund.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 09:00:45 PM »
Hi, welcome to the board! :)
Thanks for telling us the images you have posted belong to the seller and not to yourself, I understand why you've done it, but it is against the rules here to use images you do not own the copyright on, because the board could get sued for it.
A link to the original auction is fine - (if the images are still there) that way, they are still in their appropriate context and there is no copyright issue.

It is fine to post the images if you have the direct permission from the owner to do so, but given you're asking about how right your bottle is, I don't think that they might be that helpful.

I hope you don't mind, I'm going to ask a moderator to remove them.
We will just have to wait until you can take your own pictures.  :)

To bring out any written marks for photography, it can help a great deal to rub a little talcum powder over them with your thumb. It sits in the indents made and highlights them nicely.

There is a possibility the studio would be able to make a proper replacement stopper for you, if you were interested. You could always contact them and ask.

Ok, I've just done a bit of checking. Okra are not currently making any glass, the current economic climate has not been good to them, but the chap who started it, Richard Golding is working elsewhere now.

http://www.stationglass.com/Pages/default.aspx

He still might make a stopper for you.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 09:08:17 PM »
Here's a link, which should avoid any copyright issues:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/351230023660?_mwBanner=1

Offline gjkelel

• Members
    • US
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 09:13:56 PM »
Thank you so much. I'm sorry for the picture SNAFU.  It won't happen again.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 09:49:29 PM »
The marks on the base are genuine, in my opinion, very much like others I've seen, as for the stopper it may be ok you could email R. Golding and ask if it is the correct shape, ;D

Offline gjkelel

• Members
    • US
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 10:01:45 PM »
Thanks Keith.  I did actually email him, but he hadn't yet responded and I didn't want to be too much of a pest.  I was trying to find images or anything online that would lead me to the answer and it looks like I came to the right place.  Everyone has been so helpful.  I have purchased a number of Okra scent bottles over the years and I was a little leery before I purchased this one, but seeing it close up I was pretty sure it was in fact modified.  I also emailed Mike after checking out his website and he verified my concern.  I'm hoping he can provide a little more info too.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 11:41:04 PM »
No problem, anything to help a fellow Okra collector, here's a few more from our now heavy laden shelves, ::) ;D ;D

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 11:38:48 AM »
Hi have you got back to the seller ?  try it because I am sure he wants to keep his reputation A ok , I believe he also looks into this forum , tell him of your concerns . At one time the letters were item description rather than maker or designer, Richard is an easy  going guy and very helpful .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand