No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help to date this glass with engraved Pteridomania decoration please  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Help to date this glass with engraved Pteridomania decoration please
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 08:58:29 AM »
thanks Peter  -  in fact I think the post from which I took my link may have been one of yours originally :)

Edited to add...........    just to confuse matters, it is possible to find drinking glasses - from Continental sources, not British I believe - that have the fold OVER the foot rather than under.           Think from memory that such pieces date to later than the general C18 period of British feet with the fold UNDER the foot.     Hope I'm not wrong on that!

Not sure if Peter has any of these Continental pieces since he collects C18 material only, but might be useful for someone to show, if not.             

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 09:09:51 AM »
Hi ,
           Sorry the  Tieze !!?? glasses have nothing to do with me  lol ,

cheers ,
 Peter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 09:15:50 AM »
sorry to hear that ;D  -  you'll see I have edited my note, so wondering if you have anything to add re the type of foot with a top fold, or are they too late for your period?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 09:31:27 AM »
Hi ,
       The up an over folded foot was quite common in continental Europe in the 17th and 18th C,as yet i have not seen an early English glass with this feature , the up and over fold also re appeared in the late 19th and 20th c on both Continental and English items made in an 18th c style,talking to replica glass blowers I don't think anyone really knows why the up and over fold was used as it would seem to involve another step in the process of production.

I do have some early continental pieces with fold up feet ,but no pics handy.

cheers ,
              Peter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand