No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ronneby 'feather' vase info.  (Read 1655 times)

Offline Mr. Turnip

• Members
  • Some knowledge but is it ever enough?
    • Czech, UK, Scandi glass
    • England
Ronneby 'feather' vase info.
« on: January 03, 2015, 06:15:54 PM »
This vase was recently bought in Finland from a charity shop. The etching underneath (see picture) says "FM Ronneby Sweden 814 (or816) j (?) Helena 2.10.1982" (doesn't have the word 'Konstglas' after FM as I believe is usually the case) I believe the factory stopped calling itself Ronneby in 1983 and became Marcolin. There are also two mysterious quite deeply engraved, white dots underneath too. They appear to have actual white paint in them. I put chalk on the rest of the etching to make it easier to see in the photo.

Anyone have any idea what this pattern is called - it looks lke feathers, very unusual. I've only been able to find a glass owl in the same pattern on the 'net. Or indeed what 'Helena 2.10.1988 might signify? I thought perhaps it may have been engraved as a gift. I don't know if the 'Helena' bit was done when the vase was made or later.

Any further information greatly appreciated.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: Ronneby 'feather' vase info.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 03:31:47 PM »
The pattern is a technique called Sfumato, and the signature appears genuine.
The name and date are written with a different tool and were most likely added, as you suggested, as a gift to mark a special occasion.
I have a large collection of pieces by Fare Marcolin  in this pattern, it is most effective in birds as this accentuates the feathered effect.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Mr. Turnip

• Members
  • Some knowledge but is it ever enough?
    • Czech, UK, Scandi glass
    • England
Re: Ronneby 'feather' vase info.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 04:58:13 PM »
Thanks for your reply Rosie. Sfumato it is then. Not a word I'm familiar with so I wasn't able to search for it. I have now, the word and technique seems to be Italian in origin - from Murano. I hadn't really noticed the 'quilted' bubble effect until I looked at it under an illuminated magnifying glass but 'quilted' and bubbly it is - very three dimensional  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand