No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can anyone help identify this for me. ID = Empoli  (Read 3382 times)

Offline lynbin58

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
Can anyone help identify this for me. ID = Empoli
« on: January 04, 2015, 02:38:24 PM »
Hi everyone,

My husband and I were left this pretty jar by his mum several years ago, and we recently got into a debate about how old it was and what the shape would be called, we both gave up on the shape name but I said 1960's and my husband said 1970's.  We have no idea who it is made by (if anyone important) or if it is just market stall tat, we still like it  :) but would really like to know a little more about it.

I can tell you it looks hand blown because the twist on the lid has an air bubble in it, the base appears to have a ground off pointel (?) but I know nothing about glass really.  It stands approx 32cm tall and is approx 20cm across at its widest point.  I have uploaded photos which I hope are helpful.

Thanking you in anticipation of your help

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Can anyone help identify this for me
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 03:37:38 PM »
Your husband is correct, it is 1970s and it was made in one of the factories in Empoli (Florence) in Italy.

Offline lynbin58

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 03:56:30 PM »
Thank you very much for your help Ivo  :)  damn I hate it when he's right lol  ;D but now we know the date and the make, but if anyone could tell us the name of the shape that would be the cherry on the cake  ;) 

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 07:34:39 PM »
I'm sure they have other names too, but they are often referred to as circus tent lidded vases for obvious reasons  :)
Anne E.B

Offline lynbin58

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 08:09:49 PM »
Oh yes, I can see why!!  :)  thank you Anne for taking the time to answer my query  :) I think this site is amazingly friendly and helpful, I posted without really expecting to hear anything but within hours I got 2 replies telling all I wanted to know (it has also fired up an interest in glass after looking at other pages) so thanks again

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand