No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: An unknown Muranese factory? (VAMPA)  (Read 2186 times)

Offline antoinep

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Argentina
An unknown Muranese factory? (VAMPA)
« on: January 08, 2015, 02:50:15 PM »
Hi everybody,

Since I didn't find a presentation section, here's a brief intro: French collector (mainly Art Nouveau but buying in other fields as well when I like something) living in Argentina.

I hope I'm posting in the right section, I'm not trying to ID the vase in itself, just digging for some info about this obscure glass company.

I recently bought a large vase which bears a marking reading "VAMPA MURANO".
I of course did my "homework" and tried to find more info, but found none.

Since I work as a translator & with words, I tried to analyse the acronym VAMPA:
VAM would likely stand for Vetreria artistica muranese (like Barbini's VAMSA), which seems quite sure.

PA in legal Italian usually stands for Associazione in Partecipazione, not really confirmed here but well, that's the only lead I have.

I wonder if anyone would have a better guess. The vase shows sign of wear, likely 40/50 years old (?). Glass is thick.

Thanks a lot for your thoughts,

Antoine

Offline antoinep

• Members
    • Argentina
Re: An unknown Muranese factory? (VAMPA)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 03:34:25 PM »
Also, but that's pure speculation, it could be that when the SAVAM factory was renamed VAMSA (which likely required the incorporation of a new company), the factory briefly used VAMPA (since a partnership was likely easier to incorporate than a "societa anonima").
That would explain why the acronym VAMPA gives no result, but again that's just a speculation.

Explained here better: http://www.design-and-arts.de/vamsa.php?lang=eng

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 04:57:52 AM »
Murano glass occasionally shows up marked with a distributor / exporter / retailer name, rather than with that of the factory.

Existing companies, occasionally only tangentially related to glass, and generally not at all related to Murano, sometimes started up ill-advised and short-lived art glass divisions on the island - leaving confusingly-branded orphaned works after they've gone.

Both of these factors can make identification... interesting.

'Vampa' means 'flame' in Italian. Might it be an actual word, rather than an acronym?

Offline antoinep

• Members
    • Argentina
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 06:24:06 PM »
Thanks for your answer Pinkspoons.

Indeed, possibilities are many. I'll check internet every few months to see if something similar appears.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand