No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: MUCH NEEDED HELP WITH WEIGHT ATTRIBUTION.  (Read 1756 times)

Offline MPB911

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • England
MUCH NEEDED HELP WITH WEIGHT ATTRIBUTION.
« on: January 09, 2015, 09:23:59 PM »
Hi all, i need help with an attribution for this weight. Its 50mm high by 60mm wide. Any help would be much appreciated. Regards, and thanks for Your help.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
Re: MUCH NEEDED HELP WITH WEIGHT ATTRIBUTION.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 12:48:04 AM »
It is made in Murano, probably by Fratelli Toso.  This style is somewhat unusual in that it is hollow in the center, unlike most modern weights of this type which are solid.

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 01:49:44 AM »
It's Murano, made by AVeM company.

Offline MPB911

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 03:29:01 PM »
Allan: That has been My line of thought for a while about this weight, that its a Fratelli Toso. And Your right it is quite unusual that it has a hollow centre, could this mean its a bit of an older weight??? Im not quite sure why they would leave it hollow in the centre??? Stylistically its very much like a Toso weight, so ill keep on that same train of thought.

Alpha: You've thrown up bit of a conundrum here with Your thoughts of it being by Avem. Ive haven't been down this Avem route yet so ill delve deeper.

All in all its an intricate weight with great colours, and lovely spirals. 

Does anyone else have any thoughts???

Many thanks.

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 10:16:44 PM »
I've considered AVEM also, but this weight does not have the feel of a typical AVEM product.  A similar hollow crown paperweight appears on page 51 of Jargstorf Paperweights and is attributed to Fratelli Toso.  Antique crown weights are also hollow, meaning they are blown out a bit after being constructed.

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 07:51:41 AM »
Are we seeing different photos?  Because I can't see that it's hollow, the base looks solid with the ribbons of the crown meeting in the centre as they do on top.

Nick

Offline MPB911

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 04:55:52 PM »
Nick,

Thanks for Your interest. Its really hard to capture in a photo, and some computer screens differ as to what You see, but the centre of the weight is indeed hollow. The ribbons and spirals start at a point at the base then follow the sphere of the weight to the top where they end back in a point, thus creating a hollow centre. The more i compare this weight with F Toso the more I'm convinced its a Toso. Ive still got more research to do, but ill get there, especially with this Forums help.

Thanks.

Offline RAINBOWGIRL

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 09:17:59 AM »
Murano, but not Fratelli Toso, which has been closed for decades. This is a very modern Murano currently being sold in shops in Europe, including at the Louvre.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 03:14:45 PM »
... the base looks solid with the ribbons of the crown meeting in the centre as they do on top.

The ribbons and spirals start at a point at the base then follow the sphere of the weight to the top where they end back in a point, thus creating a hollow centre.

There is definitely some confusion about what is meant by "hollow". It is known that St Louis, in the 19th century, made Crown weights which were truly hollow (i.e. they were blown as an open bubble). However, most other makers of Crown weights (19th, 20th and 21st centuries) used a solid dome to which the "twist canes" were applied and usually covered over with a further layer of clear glass.

Sometimes a truly hollow weight will retain its opening in the centre of the base. But in some cases, it can be closed off and finished neatly such that it is not obvious (apart from the weight feeling distinctly light in weight for its size) that it has air inside.

The same point has been made in the past about millefiori canes which have been described as being "hollow" - in fact, apart from one instance that I know of, all millefiori canes that look "hollow" simply have a clear glass centre.

My view of the weight in this thread is that is, as said by others, a Murano item (and not necessarily Fratelli Toso) with a solid clear glass centre - not truly "hollow".
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand