No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Webb Cameo???  (Read 1980 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Webb Cameo???
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 12:04:08 PM »
Whatever the correct term, this is cameo work. The dual layer glass was blown into a mould having the design. Then the background areas were removed using acid and a resist to reveal the flowers and leaves. Then the whole thing was tidied by manual engraving and polishing, ergo economy cameo. The cheating comes with creating the design in the mould rather than manually.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 12:24:09 PM »
yes.  And I think the word cheating should be put in inverted commas.

It is a cameo piece, but just not 'totally hand produced' cameo. 
And that's no different to many types of cameo work out there (both old and new), where in some shape or form (and in varying degrees in the process) 'mechanisation' is used to make the final article.

Of course, the amount of 'hand work' involved in the process of a particular piece will be a major factor (along with other factors, such as number of layers/colours used/intricacy of design/overall appeal and desirability/age etc) in the value, because that can also affect the rarity of a piece and how difficult it is to complete a piece successfully.

And of course, these pieces are different to a totally hand produced unique one-off cameo work which takes many hours and months of work, and therefore commands a price accordingly.

m

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 05:10:52 PM »
As Paul said above, this subject has been covered before. A Board search will reveal several messages referring to "cameo fleur". "pseudo cameo" and also "rich cameo".

The main discussion about the Webb / Richardson items was ...
June 2012 - thos webb cameo vase pattern id please?
KevinH

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 01:59:21 PM »
Forgot this had been on the board and didn't think to search  :-\

This demonstrates my point
'And of course, these pieces are different to a totally hand produced unique one-off cameo work which takes many hours and months of work, and therefore commands a price accordingly.'

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,56854.msg322199.html#msg322199
 Peter says in the thread linked above that the piece in question, lot 173, sold for $260,000

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/25036818_museum-quality
the description of the sale reads
'9 1/2" SIGNED "THOMAS WEBB & SONS GEM CAMEO" FINELY CARVED ENGLISH CAMEO ART GLASS VASE - "THE ORIGIN OF PAINTING" SIGNED "G.WOODALL 1887" - EXACTLY AS FEATURED IN "ENGLISH CAMEO GLASS" BY GROVER, PAGE 262'

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 11:12:13 PM »
coming back to the examples such as those in the original links here, there does seem to have been a fairly widespread attitude of wanting to differentiate deliberately these C20 'fleur' (flower) cameo pieces from the more expensive and more hand-wrought cameos.
Richardson (possibly due to their proximity to T/Webb in the early 1930's) made their own quite similar product, and called theirs 'Rich Cameo', although they appear to have quite distinctive features when compared with T/Webb (no idea if Richardson signed theirs).
The point of this waffle is that I've just noticed that Mark West, when speaking of these 'economy' cameos, describes them as 'faux' cameo - so another instance probably of someone going out of their way to separate them from the Woodall & co. higher end cameo wares.

Charles Hajdamach also mentions that E. & L. did some cameo work similar to T/Webb and Richardson, but I'm not aware of having seen any.

Unfortunately, I don't have a single piece - economy or otherwise - they are expensive, and as Sue has commented, most of the 'fleur' pieces don't inspire me...........the decoration looks clumsy and lacks the appearance of fine art. :) 

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2015, 09:44:46 PM »
I can see that before buying there is a need to understand the cameo process, and how it has been carried out on a piece, as this knowledge added to other information will mean the buyer understands the value of what is being purchased i.e. would the value be c. $260,000 or would it be more like c. £300. 
However I do not agree that this means calling some pieces 'faux' or 'pseudo' cameo, when they are not.

These pieces being discussed are cameo pieces.  They are not 'faux' or fake or pseudo cameo.  The 'Cameo Fleur' vases from Thomas Webb appear on page 71 and 72 in Charles Hajdamach's British Glass, which is the Cameo Glass chapter.   

m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 10:10:25 PM »
I wouldn't doubt your confirmation m that the process for all such named work does indeed qualify as 'cameo'. I'm just surmising that over the years there has been a section of collectors/buyers who considered the need to differentiate between pieces commanding the extremes of values you mention.

Collectors are nothing if not snobby and class conscious, and the origin of faux and pseudo may well have been that they wanted some means of conveying the fact that they had bought something very special as opposed to a fleur piece from T/Webb.

It has to be said that if someone uses just the word cameo, then the scope of reference is large, and needs some sort of qualification.

Think I'd settle for either :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2015, 10:24:14 PM »
Yes, I know what you mean :)
As a buyer I think I would prefer that, rather than 'labelling' them, a proper explanation of the cameo process used was given in the description.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2015, 09:08:42 PM »
just adding a link to the Richardson version of this in the Broadfield House museum collection
http://blackcountryhistory.org/collections/getrecord/DMUSE_BH1344/
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand