No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Signed small vase P????? Harris? ID = Pantano & Harris, Australia  (Read 9994 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Signed small vase P????? Harris?
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 03:07:03 PM »
Not Jonathan; that is not his signature

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 09:40:06 PM »
Now the item in question is safely sold on that well-known international auction site, I can engage with this discussion...

This item is definitely a collaboration between Chris Pantano and Judy Harris, as Ross (ahremck) has speculated. Judy Harris learned to blow glass with Peter Minson in the very early 1980s at the Paris Creek craft workshops near Adelaide. She produced items both on her own account and in collaboration with Minson. The first image below shows their joint signatures in their respective handwritings.

A few years later, Harris moved to Chris Pantano's operation in Queensland. Pantano had extensive experience in kiln working glass but, inspired particularly by the example Peter Goss who operated a successful hot glass studio nerarby, he wanted to engage with blowing furnace glass. Thus began the productive Harris-Pantano collaboration. There is an extensive and illustrated article recording their collaboration in the journal Craft Arts, volume 7, page 54. The second photo below shows a small vessel in the same style as many of the items illustrated in that article.

The third image shows the marking on that vessel in what I believe is Chris Pantano's handwriting. (It's not a great photo, I will agree.) By contrast, the markings on the original query item of this thread are made in Judy Harris's handwriting, as can be seen by comparing it with her signature in the first of my images.

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline misha

• Members
    • In the Hills of Melbourne - Australia
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 04:21:47 AM »
Interesting.
Thank you once again for helping us with your vast knowledge of Australian art glass.

So, resolved -  Chris Pantano & Judy Harris - 1986
So it goes.

Offline Travelguy

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Aussie Glass
    • Australia
Re: Signed small vase P????? Harris? ID = Pantano & Harris, Australia
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 07:23:50 AM »
Hi Trevor,
I have been trying to track down information on Judy Harris too, and have been unable to find that publication Craft Arts Vol.7 that you referenced.
Any clues please ?

Lloyd

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 07:47:08 AM »
The journal changed its name to Craft Arts International at some stage. But it ceased publication last year with vol 96. The volume I mentioned is from 1986. It may be held in your local civic library, but many libraries treat it as a glossy magazine and dispose of older issues. If you have particular questions, I may be able to help. There is not much biographical information in the article beyond what I have given above.

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline Travelguy

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Aussie Glass
    • Australia
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 08:00:18 AM »
Thanks Trevor.  I had been hoping to find a substantial article of some sort (a bit like some of the gems pertaining to Sam Herman), but sounds like this is not it.
Appreciate the message,

Lloyd

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand