No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Show and tell - Mdina Tricorn bottle  (Read 7231 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Show and tell - Mdina Tricorn bottle
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2021, 11:29:58 AM »
 ;D 8) ;D They do "match" and look absolutely stunning together. Better than my 5-cylinder line-up sculpture... :P
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2021, 11:55:12 AM »
Not the simplest items to photograph, being dark they reflect any light source like a mirror, I tried to back light them to get some light passing through and all I got were silhouettes.

They look to be made from a layer of amethyst with bubbles and presumably silver chloride worked in, then all covered with a much thicker layer of clear.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2021, 06:08:08 PM »
 :) I've been trying to work out what is going on in my "new" tricorn, which is also rather thick glass with loads of layers. I have concluded that silver chloride must have been added to two layers, not just one. When I can get it strongly back-lit, I get lovely greens appearing from bits of clear amber layers over the deep teal.
Some pieces of glass are just not amenable to 2D images. It's very frustrating!

The inspiration for Aurene may have started directly in your pieces here, John. And like you, I prefer yours.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2021, 08:32:37 PM »
Yes there is more than a hint of Aurene about them, you see it too.

The other short Tricorn in my first post has similar layers to yours by the sound of it, here it is backlit and the green streaks show up but there are also purple spots in there that don't.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2021, 12:47:26 PM »
Does that one have slightly concave surfaces where it has been marvered? My "new" one does, which makes me strongly suspect there might be some cooling and shrinkage of the air inside happening when the metal is in contact with the marver, meaning the object might require a tiny puff of air to expand it fully again.
I hadn't thought of that before, but it does make sense, to me. ;D
The pale tricorn I showed here does not have concave sides - and there is very little evidence left of the marver rings. It has definitely been puffed after flattening.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2021, 03:16:24 PM »
All three tricorns here have that 'feature'. The open end would need to be sealed for cooling air to be the cause. I suspect the glass would cool more rapidly in contact with the marver than the air inside, for what it is worth.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2021, 04:48:40 PM »
Another of these split second timing things, where I have not a clue what the maker is actually doing.   ;D
But not something I'd thought of before. The "hollow" in the walls does seem to be an earlier feature, and probably is, as you point out, more to do with the outside of the metal cooling and contracting, than the air inside.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2021, 06:22:41 PM »
Pretty sure I have seen glass blowers stick a thumb over the end of the blowing iron to seal it temporarily. What happens when a round shape is flattened?  Presumably the 'centre' is flattened before the outer edges (however short a time scale), not a clue really just thinking out loud.

As requested, the photos of your Tricorn.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2021, 06:50:30 PM »
Wonderful, thank-you! This is my "new" one, which John didn't need any more and let me have it.  ;D

The tall u-shaped loop of silver salt ochre, which I think is the secod addition of salts, is at the bottom of the third image. 8)

Now you mention it, yes, I've seen makers seal the end of the blowing iron with their thumb, when they take their mouth off it.
I'll have to have a think too.
The round shape would not neccessarily be held by molten metal and so wouldn't "bounce" inwards, I'd have thought. Maybe it's more to do with contraction on the outside because of temperature.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2021, 12:05:22 PM »
Love your new bell vase John, had my eye on it too :)  Glad it went to a good home. xxx

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand