No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small Milk Glass Dish - 18th Century?  (Read 1333 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Small Milk Glass Dish - 18th Century?
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 10:54:54 AM »
 Also in an article I've read (it might be that one) they comment on the enamels used so many moons ago, and how they are still intact and glossy on the pieces that have survived. Mine retains it's gilded squares on the flowers. Quite remarkable really.
I love enamelling  ;D
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 10:55:53 AM »
Hi ,
               I am sure you are correct as I am sure that in a short space of time the form would have been made in many glass centres in central Europe.but I  think that Corning has with excavated material at least identified Switzerland and Venetian glassmakers as the possible origin of these cups and saucers.

cheers ,
             Peter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 11:16:47 AM »
Hi ,
             Like you I find ancient enameling fascinating,to have survived intact for so long just shows what skills the decorators had in those days ,below is a beaker of mine ,the jury is still out on the date of this piece , 17th c or 18th c is the closest I have got so far.

cheers ,
                   Peter

Offline MatW

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Greece
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 01:46:54 PM »
Thank you two for all this great information and the interesting links! The Flühli attribution sounds promising to me, as the Bohemian and Thuringian examples look all more rich in decoration and colour? I also found an example of a Flühli cup and saucer with that "ribbed" form, so similar shapes have been  produced there...
http://shop.sf-antik.ch/index.php/tasse-121.html
Mat  :)

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 02:28:35 PM »
 Hi ,
           They also have this 1 with a bird, for "m"     http://shop.sf-antik.ch/index.php/tasse.html

cheers ,
            Peter.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 02:39:39 PM »
I used to own a crocus vase in white milk glass with mock Chinese porcelain decoration and a shape which identified it as English, after ca. 1850. A bit of research came up with Sunderland as the place of origin. Unfortunately it was snapped up by a fanatical bulb collector before I could photograph it. 

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 06:04:33 PM »
Ivo  I have also read of experiments to produce 'bone glass' in England in the early 19th.  I think when I was researching opaline glass developments.  And I did put that information somewhere on the board.  I'll try and find it.

Peter - that's beautiful!! intrigued to know where it will eventually end up both time wise and country/region wise.  Looks quite Indian/Persian in the design of the animal?  but that could mean anything  ;D

With regards the bowl and cup sets, the links to the pieces for sale by that seller are v. interesting :
- There are two with the bird enamelling, neither attributed or identified to a place yet (bearing out Peter's comments that Thuringia may or may not be right and the ongoing research into identifying where made).

- One of them has the similar molding to Mat's (and has most similar enamel decoration to mine).

- The other is plain blown as mine is and has similar decoration to mine but not as close as the molded one.
Both dated as c1780.

- Whereas the Fluhli identified sets are 'spatter' decor as per Peter's, one plum and the other multi coloured, dated 1760, again maybe reflecting your information Peter about developments in producing them spreading across to other countries? Or maybe just indicating that they might have been produced in the same area/region but later?

- One is molded as Mat mentioned. Mat I can see your enamelled decoration in it's limited colour palate compares to those pieces.  But it does have the gilding over the flowers and it is hand enamelled rather than being decorated with spatter chips. I wonder if that will eventually indicate that it was made elsewhere other than Fluhli?
Or it might be the link between the molded spatter and the molded enamelled pieces and indicate they all came from a similar region?

The molded design is interesting because it appears on your set, a spatter set, and also on a set enamelled with similar decoration to mine.

(I've only added this information for future reference in case the links disappear and then we'll have no idea what was being discussed. I'm aware I'm stating the obvious at the moment :) )
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 09:08:46 PM »
Quite a detailed design enamelled version from the British Museum.
They have it as:
c1740-1750
From the workshop of Johann Friedrich Metzsch
Production place of decoration Bayreuth
The enamel picture on the bowl is signed with initials DB and the bowl has a W enamelled on the base over the pontil

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/collection_object_details.aspx?objectId=72462&partId=1&searchText=enamelled+glass&page=4

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2015, 10:30:51 AM »
http://www.glasmuseum-lauscha.de/huettenglas.html
the Lauscha museum link is working again :)

I've used google to translate their comment regarding Beinglas - (it translates Bein to leg instead of bone)

'Beginning of the 18th century, Friedrich Böttger found out the composition of the porcelain in Dresden and fired vessels. Coffee and tea from porcelain wares from now on the most sought after luxury objects at the European courts.

The Venetians had Beinglas (ital. Lattimo) since the 16th century in use. To create the milky haze, they put the mixture lead, Zinnodix, bone (calcium fluoride phosphate) or Hirschhorn to allocate funds.

With the intention to imitate porcelain, now melted some huts leg Thuringian glass. Documented the cabins are an ice 1711 Henriettenthal 1720 Lauscha 1735 Ilmenau 1737th

With the widespread use of porcelain in the late 18th century, interest in the Beinglas fell asleep again.'

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2015, 11:42:05 AM »
Just for future reference google translated the names of the Glass huts in the text incorrectly -
they should read
Eisfeld 1711, Henriettenthal 1720, Lauscha 1735 und Ilmenau 1737.

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand