No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Looks like Lalique, but don't think it is... ID = McKee , USA  (Read 2095 times)

Offline JMSurab

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • USA
Looks like Lalique, but don't think it is... ID = McKee , USA
« on: February 05, 2015, 04:00:46 AM »
Growing up, I was always told this bowl was Lalique, however, when I contacted the "RLalique" website they didn't have record of it and suggested I post here.  I have been unable to locate a signature on the piece.  It was given to my grandmother (born 1909) by a wealthy older couple, then went to my mother, who gave it to me.  My mother died recently, and, if it has value, I’m interested in selling it.  The bowl is about 15 1/2 inches in diameter and about 5 inches tall.  The motif is birds with long tail feathers (they may be a specific type of bird, but I don’t know).  The bowl is smooth glass on the interior.  It’s quite heavy and there are also a few small air bubbles in the glass.  Any information about it would be most appreciated.  Thank you in advance for your help.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Looks like Lalique, but don't think it is...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 06:22:24 AM »
As you say, not Lalique. I seem to recall this pattern is by McKee, but will have to check. It's a fantastic bowl whoever made it  8)

Edited to add: seems to be McKee Louvre, as shown in a 1937 ad. Hopefully someone else will be able to confirm...

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 05:14:28 PM »
Yes its McKee & original. You have to be careful of this pattern because Indiana Glass had the molds for years & made colored versions of baskets/boxes etc. for Tiara.

Offline JMSurab

• Members
    • USA
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 05:54:03 PM »
Thank you both for your responses about the bowl.  How would I go about determining its value (if any)?  I've "Googled" but haven't been successful finding it. 

Offline JMSurab

• Members
    • USA
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 06:07:50 PM »
OK.  So it is a "McKee Louvre Bird of Paradise" large bowl.  I'm not surprised, but glad my mother isn't around to learn it's not Lalique.  It meant a lot to her...  I'm not sure what to do now.  I don't really want to keep it, but am unsure it's value or where to start.  Thanks again for your time.  I'm definitely a novice here.

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Looks like Lalique, but don't think it is... ID = McKee , USA
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 09:18:28 PM »
For the Indiana/Tiara reproduction ones they are priced at around $40, but since yours is original I think $65-$75 is a realistic number.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand