No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Spatter Glass Vase With Copper Aventurine?  (Read 608 times)

Offline MatW

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Greece
Spatter Glass Vase With Copper Aventurine?
« on: February 14, 2015, 01:19:21 PM »
Hello again,
I found this little (10cm) Vase but I have no clue about age, country or maker. It has a clear layer of glass on the inside on which the spatter glass layer is applied. On the bottom there is a round depression. Thank you for any identification help!
Mat

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Spatter Glass Vase With Copper Aventurine?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 12:26:03 AM »
Can you show a photo of the handles?  it looks as though they have molded prunts on them perhaps?
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline MatW

• Members
    • Greece
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 08:25:21 AM »
Yes, m,  it looks as if the "bubble" in the middle is molded, but it is not easy to see in the photos, I fear. Somehow my feeling is that this is not Murano, despite the Aventurine, what do you think?
Mat

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 11:32:10 AM »
Murano is not my thing but I'd say not.  The caveat being there have been a number of Bohemian style pieces reproduced from Murano as was on another recent thread with advert showing repros (none like yours).

Did you buy it in Greece btw?  There is very little information on Greek glass of the 20th century.
And also is it quite refined or quite clunky in the hand - over heavy or balanced in weight for a cased piece.
Your photos are good and the aventurine looks nicely done (not overcooked which makes it go brown).

I have a vase with those prunts on that I've never been able to pin down.  I have it as possibly Kralik (prunts match Kralik pieces  but the type of glass doesn't), or possibly English (nothing to support that view at the moment).
The conclusion I came to is I think it's possible many makers might have used the same gadget to make the same style of prunt.

The molded base is a curious thing.   Japanese? French?  There have been some curious spatter pieces from French makers but the molded base is not something I've noticed as French (although my knowledge is severely limited!). Maybe Romanian and possibly Chinese, but I think the shape and decor and the quality is too balanced for either, so I wouldn't look there first.  Polish perhaps might be another avenue but again the molded base doesn't sit right.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline MatW

• Members
    • Greece
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 11:34:31 AM »
Thank you so much, m, for your thoughts on this vase. Yes, I bought it in Greece, but I think it is very unlikely that it was made here. I think there was not much art glass made in Greece. The few thing I found out about it I posted here some time ago: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,58042.msg328976.html#msg328976 . I see I have to search around a lot. However, I do not think this vase is Chinese or Romanian, as the quality is better than what I have seen from there. I never saw Japanese Glass here, most things come either from Bohemia, France and some from England... My impression is that it is quite refinded, it is not too heavy for it's size.
Mat

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand