No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chinese white  (Read 2723 times)

Offline SophieB

• Members
Re: Chinese white
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 08:02:21 AM »
Hi Kevin,

This sounds very very plausible to me... One of the things Alan demonstrates in his articles is the importance of Chinese symbolism in the design of those weights.

Also, I have read somewhere that giant pandas eat mostly bamboos but that they can eat berries, flowers and small rodents too.

So as far as I am concerned this mystery is cleared. Many thanks Kevin!  :)

SophieB

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 09:04:46 AM »
Thanks everyone interesting ,nice weight Sophie,i wonder how many panda designs alone there are?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 09:52:42 AM »

Hi.  I am working on establishing a 'Chinese White Gallery' on my website, which I hope will be live in the next month or so.  I have seen three panda designs: the two illustrated in this thread (of which we have copies in our collection...) and one of a panda walking under some bamboo.  The latter was in the largest collection of Chinese Whites I have seen, and belonged to Peter Metcalfe, who had around 100.  These included some quite uncommon designs ( eg a resting deer) and ashtrays (of which I have one, he had 3).  All four ashtrays have birds as the main design, one of Peter's having a garland of millefiori canes.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 11:37:56 AM »

Hi.  Having now looked at my book on symbolism in Chinese art, a strong possibility for the red berries / fruit is that they are the fruit of the Jujube Tree, also called Chinese Dates.  These sometimes symbolise fertility or wealth.  The foliage is somewhat like that shown on the Chinese White, although that may well be bamboo.

Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2015, 11:44:33 AM »
Hi Alan,

Just when I thought the mystery was solved...  ???

On a different point, I am fairly sure that I have seen a Chinese white with a different two-pandas design. I think it was owned by Ann Slater (I have a vague memory of coming across this in the PCC newsletter - quite a while back).

Another weight for us to hunt!!!!

SophieB

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 12:06:25 PM »
Chinese white gallery sounds great :)looking closely at my weight the fruits are made up of little red dots making up the whole,could be dried jujube?having just looked them up,I wonder also wether the original sketches were done at a zoo and the fruits were something thrown in......just stop me when I start getting way off track. :o

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2015, 12:14:00 PM »
Yup off track,the first zoo panda in the usa 1930 and strangely the first Chinese zoo panda 1950.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 11:41:50 AM »

Hi All.  I have put a Gallery of 40 Chinese White images on my website, with examples of animals, birds, insects, landscapes etc.  There will be more when I get a chance to add them.  There is a link to the Gallery on the front page of my website .

Alan

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2015, 11:14:00 AM »
Hi Alan,

Many thanks for doing this.

There are plenty there that I have never seen in the flesh... It has set me drooling in a big way!!  ;D

SophieB

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2015, 06:49:05 PM »
Really nice resource for everyone there,thanks Alan,think I'm a cricket man myself,and the fish,bus...I like them all actually.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand