No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: unusual 18th century Continental blue glass vase / container?  (Read 609 times)

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
Hi,
This is a recent acquisition from a local flea market. The seller had no real idea where it came from and neither did I, although she did suggest France. The price was quite cheap and I was intrigued. Now perhaps one of the good members of this fantastic forum will be able to help me out with regard to identification. The glass has no "ring" when tapped hence my Continental lead free assumption
Measurements 18 cms tall rim diameter 6 cms Foot 10 cms weighs 450grammes and has internal bubbles, striations faults and a rough pontil.
Any helpful suggestions would much appreciated.
Thank You.
Bryn

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
Re: unusual 18th century Continental blue glass vase / container?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 08:28:53 PM »
Some more relevant photos. Sorry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 11:37:48 PM »
Reminds me of work by Hospodka, 20th century, Czech glass maker, I think that's his name, ::) ;D ;D

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 07:25:31 AM »
Hi Keith,
That name is quite familiar to me. I have a copy of Mark Hills Hi Sklo Lo Sklo book and I can see where you are coming from. This piece however does have have specifics which would  general refer to a much earlier production. Not that I'm an expert in any way.😯
Many Thanks.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 09:17:23 AM »
Hi Bryn  -  have to say that I'm also going with Keith's thoughts on date.

glass from seventeen something  -  as you're suggesting  -  is recognizable often by shape and form, and this one to me has more of a C20 abstract look to the design  -  the proportions also make me think nineteen something.
Unfortunately, the inclusions, pontil scar, striations etc. aren't conclusive when it comes to determining age, although you may well be correct in suggesting a Continental origin.
You don't mention wear, which I'm thinking might be considerable if this were well over 200 years old.

Regret I'm very dim when it comes to C18 coloured glass, but books that offer a little info on general shapes and some guidance are..........
'Coloured Glass' - David & Middlemas.............    and for a potted overview of Continental material......  Janet Seligman's translation of Gustav Weiss's volume  'the book of Glass'.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 09:50:48 AM »
I too would go for 20th C. The foot is too round and has a modern edge shape for a start.
The glass has no "ring" when tapped hence my Continental lead free assumption
That's a rather big assumption...

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 11:14:38 PM »
Hi,
You are right whilst the base edge does have movement or shelf marks it is minimal. My friend who is also a long term member of this forum has suggested that the vase may be either Gordiola or even Mexican. He says he thinks he remembers Ivo making an ID of Mexico on this vase or rather a similar vase which may or may not have had a label.
Glad it was cheap.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand