No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 'paperweight' but I think it's really a vase ! ID = Michael Hook, Australia  (Read 5925 times)

Offline dragonqueen

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • paperweights
    • Wales
This was described as a paperweight signed on top which seems a bit odd so I think it is really a very heavy small vase. Hoping someone can help identify the maker as it has a clear signature. Photos attached.

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
Re: Just bought a 'paperweight' but I think it's really a vase !
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 11:28:56 PM »
Hello and welcome to the Board.

As you suspect, what you have there started life as something else - in this case a perfume bottle, now missing its stopper. The maker is Micheal Hook, an Australian artist who trained at the Jam Factory in Adelaide 1979-82 before working at Nick Mount's Budgeree Glass in Victoria and then setting up his own studio called Resolution Glass in inner-suburban Melbourne. I think he has recently closed the studio and retired from glass making.

I don't have a bottle in exactly the same design as yours, but the photos below show the general shape of yours and another bottle with some similar characteristics and which could well be turned upside down after removing the stopper.

It was rather creative of your vendor to invert it and call it a 'paperweight'. Usually they advertise a small bottle that's lost its stopper as a 'posy vase'. Here is one such example currently on ebay.au
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MICHAEL-HOOK-ART-GLASS-BUD-VASE-PERFUME-BOTTLE-CONTROLLED-BUBBLE-SIGNED-/271556340453

Michael Hook did make paperweights in the same general design as your bottle. There are signed on the bottom in the regular way, as you would expect.

If I google for "Michael Hook glass" and then switch to 'images', I get lots of pictures of his bottles and paperweights. That may be because I'm getting the feed from Google Australia, but it may be worth your while to try it.

Thanks for a wonderful query.

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline misha

• Members
    • In the Hills of Melbourne - Australia
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 11:43:30 PM »
The single trail of controlled bubbles is a give away as to Mr Hook's work too.

I have one of the same design in a teal inner colour... and all the parts to repair a broken stopper. Broken by someone who didn't afford sufficient protection against the mail system.

Any ideas where replacement stoppers may be had?
So it goes.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 10:24:03 AM »
Absolutely - Michael Hook perfume minus the stopper.  As said the bubbles are distinctive.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline dragonqueen

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • paperweights
    • Wales
Thanks so much I obviously came to the right place as googling M Hook got me nowhere LOL Now to find a stopper  - I'm sure the vendor did not know what it was because the price was so reasonable £5.70 was it a bargain?

Offline misha

• Members
    • In the Hills of Melbourne - Australia
£5.70 x 2 = AU$11.40
+ ? shipping.

Probably cost a lot more to make it.

Reasonable price in terms of an Australian market context, and if your keen on the colour.

Good luck with finding a stopper.
More a matter of finding someone prepared to make a new one for it.   
So it goes.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Adding these here for reference, goblets with blue ball knops made by Michael Hook. A little over 16cm tall and lovely with it, looking forward to using them!

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand