No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Different versions of a cuboid vase design putatively attributed to Davidson.  (Read 1267 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
In Sheilagh Murray’s book “ The Peacocks and the Lions…”, plate 56 shows a group of four yellow pearline glass articles (all of which she attributes to George Davidson).

The three to the right of the group are well documented as being by Davidson of Gateshead.

The piece on the extreme left of the group is a yellow opalescent vase of basically cuboid  form with small looped ‘ears’ to the top edges of the side angles. There is no mention of identifying marks on this piece, and I know of no documentation to definitively attribute this design or pattern (either registered or unregistered) to Davidson, although the yellow opalescent glass appears to be similar in hue and opalescence to the accompanying attributable yellow pearline Davidson articles.

I do, though, have some photos to show of similar pieces in blue opalescent glass that is very similar in hue and opalescent to that of known Davidson  blue pearline pieces:

A blue opalescent glass vase similar to that shown in yellow opalescent glass by Murray (with three horizontal rows of diamond-chequered panels to each side, topped by a plain, narrow,‘bobbled’ border on two sides and a slightly wider border of ‘bobbles’ above a  row of diamonds on the two opposite sides ).

In addition, there is another (slightly paler) blue opalescent glass vase broadly similar to that above, but a little bigger, and with four horizontal rows of slightly different diamond-chequered panels, topped by a narrow border on two sides and a slightly wider border of ‘bobbles’ above three rows of tiny beads on the two opposite sides).

(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by Kevin Collins).

I think the fact that there are blue opalescent versions of the vase with hue and opalescence similar to that of attributable blue pearline Davidson pieces lends weight to Murray’s putative attribution of the pieces as being by Davidson but I still await definitive evidence of attribution.

Does anyone have photos of any of the versions in different colours (or even more versions) to show, please?

Fred

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Here is a vase in clear glass very similar to the four-banded blue opalescent version described in my opening post.
(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by cleanglassdream).

Does anyone have any definitive information from catalogues or pattern books or identifying markings to provide a Davidson attribution for any or all of the versions, please?

Fred.

Offline Keencollector

• Members
Three different size examples for your records Fred.  Large is 120mm high and approx. 125mm square.
Medium is approx 110mm high and 115mm square.  Small is 90mm high and approx. 95mm square.  These measurements are to the outside edge and top of loops. 

Offline Keencollector

• Members
This is a photo of small size, 90mm high and approx 95mm square.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Thank you, Margaret.

I've certainly never seen an example of the smallest vase before.

Still no further definitive evidence for a Davidson attribution yet. I suppose it is always possible that they could have been made by Greener & Co., although the hue of their blue opalescent glass often seems somewhat different.

Fred.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
At last, a positive Davidson attribution!

A purple slag/marbled glass version of the medium, 3-banded vase with a clear Davidson demi-lion mural crown trademark embossed to the interior base.

(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by Kevin Collins).

Unfortunately, I am still unable to find a Davidson pattern number for this design.

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand