No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Faceted paperweight with rose in pot  (Read 2160 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Faceted paperweight with rose in pot
« on: March 15, 2015, 02:47:37 PM »
I am not usually drawn to paperweights, but this one intrigued me :)

Faceted weight, with nicely done dark red rose growing from a green "pot". The flower is surrounded by 3 green leaves.
Base ground and polished with quite a bit of wear.
Height 9 cm, diameter appr. 8 cm.

My best guess would be Bohemian, and older -- but I may be completely off, so any help with maker / date highly appreciated!
>> Here is a similar one on German ebay...

Thanks,
Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
Re: Faceted paperweight with rose in pot
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 03:48:55 PM »
Hi Michael,

Ooooh, nice one!!!

I would have said bohemian too but it is not my area of expertise at all. Let's see what our more informed members say.

SophieB

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 04:09:22 PM »
I vote for "more modern". Czech Republic maybe.

The style and cutting is in keeping with Bohemian / Czechoslovakian from the 1920-39 period (as suggested  by Peter Von Brackel in his book on these types). However, I think the colour of the petals is not in keeping with the earlier periods. In the book, there are none shown with the same colour petals as in this example and the eBay one.

The eBay example (although differently faceted) seems to be exactly the same colours, with similar "uncontrolled bubbles" around the pot and leaves. This makes me think of a more recent production run rather than the varied colouring normally seen among the many examples of earlier "Bohemian" weights of this type.
KevinH

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 05:15:42 PM »
Thank you very much, Sophie, Kevin!

So at least I got the region right ;D

Not easy to find much info about Czech Republic production paperweights online...

Are there many companies still making paperweights in this old style?
I am a bit confused as to why two modern -- likely mass produced -- weights should show different styles of cutting and varying quality.

Michael

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 09:16:18 PM »

Hi.  If you search the past messages on GMB you will find links to modern Czech makers - Beranek being an important one, with around 50 different designs of paperweight in the last 10 years or so. Google Beranek glass or Beranek paperweights and you will get links to relevant products.

Regarding cutting, it is done by people rather than machines, so it can vary.  And the cutting pattern is sometimes determined by flaws in the glass that the maker wants to remove, rather than a design concept, so the precise shape changes.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 04:51:01 PM »
Thank you very much Alan!

I am a dedicated collector of Beranek/Skrdlovice glass, but never came across anything remotely similar by them. IMHO not very likely...
(On the other hand it would fit into my collection very well if it was Beranek ;) )

I found that Egermann s.r.o. had a few similarly faceted weights in their 2009 catalogue >> Link.

So if it is just the colour and the bubbles, I guess I will have a hard time learning to distinguish between older and newer production ;D

Michael

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 06:57:16 PM »
Hi rococo,can I just ask how much wear you have on the base,I have a faceted 'bohemian 'with orange flowers and very little wear so I've got it down as recent after reading a passage in world paperweights about these types still being made when the book,or just before ,was written.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 09:40:40 PM »
Hi bat20, thanks for your thoughts!
I attach a pic of the base (which doesn't show the wear very well -- there are lots of very fine scratches which cannot be seen in the pic).

BTW, I came across this interesting website about paperweights from the Lausitz area, showing several with similar roses (and faceting) >> http://briefbeschwerer.kulturpixel.de/index.html
Some direct links to pics:
>> rose 1
>> rose 2
>> rose 3

Michael

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 10:25:39 PM »
Thanks rococo,got to say I do like this type of weight and the bubbles being squeezed out of the fat petals works amazingly to my eye,if they were meant to be there or not.

Offline marc

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 06:14:59 PM »
Hi everyone.
I have a similar one. the base has a lot of fine scratches, could it be Bohemian first third 20th century?
Best regards.
Marc.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand