No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chinese paperweight, not Norman Stuart Clarke  (Read 2861 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Chinese paperweight, not Norman Stuart Clarke
« on: April 02, 2015, 03:24:03 PM »
Oh dear, lots of these seen on eBay and quite common, but this one (301578298614) has an added signature attributed to NSC. 
Another one listed here correctly with no added scrawl (251893848545). Not sure what to do?  Seems to be a good seller.  I've got a small collection of his work signed, but was alerted first to the image before even seeing the signature.  Does anyone agree?

---------------- edit--------------
I think I should have posted this in paperweight section ::)
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Chinese paperweight, not Norman Stuart Clarke
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 04:58:08 PM »
Anne, simply notify the seller that the signature is not correct, mentioning that you have examples of correct signatures. And also mention, with reference to the other one you found, that you believe weights like these are of Chinese origin.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 05:07:02 PM »
To my eyes, not remotely Norman Stuart Clarke, nor his signature.
The "signature" looks very awkward and scratched on by somebody with no experience of engraving.
There is not one straight line in any of my signed bits by N SC, they are all curved, even the l and k in Clarke and the date numbers (9) are curved. They are clear and easily readable.
All my bits are marked Norman Stuart Clarke. Not N S Clarke. I can't see if the Clarke is spelled with the e at the end or not on this weight.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 05:36:06 PM »
Thanks folks for your comments. 
Will contact seller and hope they take it in the spirit in which it is sent  :) 
Anne E.B

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 08:54:42 PM »
I first met Norman Stuart Clarke and Peter Layton (not Leighton) in 1977 soon after Peter had established LGW at Rotherhithe and Norman had just left Middlesex Polytechnic and joined him there.

In the early days they were really teaching themselves to make glass. They both made quite a lot of work that looks primitive compared with the glass they are known for today. Peter wanted me to exhibit his early work in our gallery in Highgate but I didn't feel that we could sell it. It took him a few years to persuade me to start selling his work. By 1980 we were selling both his work and Norman's. We were also the first gallery to exhibit and sell Siddy Langley's work.

It was all rather a long time ago, so I can't remember every piece of work from those days but I do remember Norman making bread and butter paperweights such as the one referred to in the late 70s. As to the signature, in the early days of LGW, they didn't have a flexible drive engraving tool in the workshop.
They just scratched a signature using a diamond scriber and the signature was not at all neat. It is difficult to scribe onto a curved edge.

So, I can't say that this is definitely by Norman, but it certainly could be. One needs to be careful when looking at these things. I certainly could not say, categorically, that it wasn't Norman's.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 07:49:47 AM »

Hi.  Having looked carefully at the two paperweights referred to above, I do not think that either are Chinese.  The base of the first does not look like any Chinese paperweight I have seen.   The second one with the 'spatter flowers' may be Indian : the 3 flower spatter pattern is a well known and long standing Indian paperweight design (mid 20th century or earlier).   I have had examples with a 'Made in India' label.  That said, I have seen a few modern pieces from other sources that appear to copy the Indian design!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 09:54:11 AM »
To add to that, Alan, I have seen one recently with a splodgy orange centre with three ice-pick features with a bubble - the sort one automatically assumes Indian or perhaps slightly older Chinese, this sort of style, with a Made in Gibraltar label. It really surprised me. No aventurine or other colours.
I didn't buy it, even as an example to photograph, because it had a massive crack right through it, it was far too expensive and my OH would have had kittens if I'd brought it home.

This weight is just far, far too like these generic weights, I would be very surprised if Mr Stuart Clarke had anything to do with it.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand