No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Clear TEXTURED BARK EFFECT DECANTERS BOTTLES MDINA? HARRIS? HOLMEGAARD?  (Read 652 times)

Offline Design79

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • 50s 60s art glass
    • London
Hi all
Looking for some help with these decanter i bought recently at a flea market - they were labelled as Whitefriars but I was pretty sure at the time they weren't and still pretty sure now!
I took a punt on them as they looked like the Mdina textured range but i have never seen them before and haven't found them in lots of online searching.
They certainly bare a remarkable resemblance to various textured Mdina bottles by Michael Harris, and i've seen in a previous thread about the different shapes and rims, some rarer than others:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34693.0.html

They are both rectangular with polished pontils and identical moulded texture, but they differ at the shoulder where the glass is gathered and free blown - this area looks particularly like some Mdina examples.

What put me off the idea they were Mdina was firstly that they are made from clear glass with no colour at all! Is this unusual or unheard of to be mdina? I presume they would need to be clear to be a functional 'decanter' rather than an art glass piece but i'm not aware of mdina heading down the more 'homeware' route (albeit a very beautiful one)!? Which made me think they could Scandinavian especially with the very Holmegaard-like neck and metal & cork stoppers - but still no luck! The stoppers could of course been added later?
The other thing was the texture in pictures of coloured bottles I've seen appear deeper but this may just be the way the light works on the coloured glass giving more definition and each mould is different?

However, there is something that seems right about them being Mdina - quality, skilfully made, clarity, thick base, heavy (approx 1.2kg each), very similar texture, rim...

Could they be test pieces for a range that never went ahead... or am i just hoping and grasping at straws?!  ;)

Anyway, hoping you can help!
Thanks
Ed

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Design79

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • 50s 60s art glass
    • London
...additional photos...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
The cork and metal stoppers and the style point at Scandinavia to me. No idea who but definitely not Mdina

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
I think Skruf but cannot prove it.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand