No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Paperweight with bundle of small blue flowers -- Bohemian? ID = Austria  (Read 6117 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
One more I would kindly like to ask for more info about ;)

8 cm diameter, 6 cm height, the base is indented, leaving a 3 mm wide polished stand ring (of which the outer edge is chamfered).
Slightly yellowish hue to the glass.

A bundle of blue, yellow centered flowers rises from a green / yellow / purple frit ground.

With my limited knowledge I would think "Bohemian", 1920s/30s, but I have been wrong before...
(The base finish seems a little unusual).

Thanks,
Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline w8happiness

• Members
  • τὰ ἐφ' ἡμῖν
    • paperweights
    • Tyrol,Austria,Europe
Re: Paperweight with bundle of small blue flowers -- Bohemian?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 11:17:04 AM »
Hi Michael,

the exact source for these very nice paperweights was researched by HR Gerd Mattes/Vienna a couple of years ago;

Gerd Mattes found out that this distinctive style was made by glassworks in Alt-Nagelberg and Neu-Nagelberg, directly at the Czech border - district of Gmünd/Waldviertel. Alt-Nagelberg is the bigger place, located in Austria, and an old glass making area. The name of the firm that exists still is Apfelthaler, the older examples of paperweights date back to the 1920ies and 1930ies presumably.

Gerd Mattes also collected an iron plate form for placing the flowers and twigs, and published an article about those finds in the PCC Newsletter some time ago, so this is definitely an "Austrian" and "Bohemian" paperweight, which is not always a contradiction: in strict sense, paperweights from Venezia from the 1840ies are "Austrians" as well, as Venezia was part of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy that time, and reigned by the Kingdom of Italy later,

Kind regards from Lermoos, Tyrol, Austria, Erhard
EJM

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Paperweight with bundle of small blue flowers -- Bohemian?
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 03:51:51 PM »
Hi Erhard,
thank you very much for the in-depth info! Greatly appreciated.

And what a special ID -- my first "Austrian" paperweight.

With your help I found this issue of Pressglas-Korrespondenz, showing the iron plate which was used to make my paperweight >> Link.

Michael

P.S.: And nice to meet another Austrian fellow collector here on the board :)

Offline w8happiness

• Members
  • τὰ ἐφ' ἡμῖν
    • paperweights
    • Tyrol,Austria,Europe
Hi Michael,

always welcome, good to see there is still a bit of ID possible,

Kind regards, Erhard

p.s. the PGK site is a good source
 for pressed glass info of all kind... paperweights occasionally
EJM

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
I found yet another one of these nice Neu-Nagelberg paperweights, this time the flowers have two different blue hues and "grow" from a multicolour flower pot; very nicely faceted.

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand