No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 3 I.O.W PIECES  (Read 909 times)

Offline PaulFitz

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Australia
3 I.O.W PIECES
« on: May 03, 2015, 12:24:20 AM »
Hi,i have 3 pieces which i would like to know more about,so please excuse the dumb questions.
No.1 is a Summer Fruits 13 cms tall with just blue & dark pink(maybe purple) spots with light green and pink canes.I am unsure of the colourway.
No.2 is a Meadow Garden and i think is the Cornflower colourway 16 cms tall.The stopper is iridescent but not too sure whether the bottle is.It is hard to tell because of the blue colour but it certainly looks to have a sheen as opposed to the next No.3 bottle i am asking about.
No.3 is a Meadow Garden but in the Unknown colourway 11.5 cms tall.Does this mean it is rare or just that no one has attributed a colour as yet
Any comments will be greatly appreciated on these.
Cheers Paul.

Offline chilternhills

• Members
    • Isle of Wight glass
    • UK
    • Isle of Wight Studio Glass Enthusiasts Site
Re: 3 I.O.W PIECES
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 10:29:05 PM »
Hi Paul,

I believe all three of your pieces are Meadow Garden. The colourways are often difficult to identify since they vary quite a bit and some variants were not recorded or given an official name. My stab at it is to say the first item is MG Violet; the second item is MG Cornflower; and the third one is MG in an unknown, unnamed colourway. All three are illustrated here: http://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com/meadowgarden. Please note my cautionary comment in the colourways section of this page. Since MG was made in the 1980s generally they have triangular labels on them, while Summer Fruits was made from 1993 to 2012 and they usually have square labels. (Labels give a general, usually helpful guide, but are not absolute guarantees of dating.)

MG is a commonly found design and I have seen a lot of it. But frequently I have had to restrain myself from tearing my hair out.  ::)

Hope this helps.

Anton
Visit my Isle of Wight Studio Glass enthusiasts' site at https://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com and also Isle of Wight Museum of Glass at http://www.isleofwightglassmuseum.org.uk/

Offline PaulFitz

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Australia
Re: 3 I.O.W PIECES
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 04:15:27 AM »
Hi Anton,thank you for your reply.I failed to mention that the one i thought is Summer fruits has the gold on black square label 92-95 so that is why i dismissed it as Meadow garden violet and also it does not have any white spots as on the vase on your site.By the way,it is a great site and 1st call for info on IOW pieces.
Have you an opinion on whether the blue perfume bottle is fumed at all.Cheers Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand