No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ISSEL GENOVA Had made large Manta or Ray  (Read 1996 times)

Offline philyesil

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Italian Glass
    • Cyprus
ISSEL GENOVA Had made large Manta or Ray
« on: May 04, 2015, 06:32:27 PM »
Hi everyone, I have just joined your forum. I live in Cyprus and love hand made of all types.
Today I purchased a most beautiful hand made glass Manta or Ray glass piece, there is an original makers sticker on the base, which shows the makers name, ISSEL, Genova. I have searched the internet but cannot find anything for this maker. The nearest thing I found was the maker Paul Kedelv however the piece is not the same. The piece is very large, about two feet in length and 16 inches wide, very heavy 5 -10 kilos. The main body is in clear glass with the centre body in Mauve glass. I will update tomorrow with photos but wondered if anyone can shed any light on the maker. This piece is most stunning.

Thanks

Philip Green

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: ISSEL GENOVA Had made large Manta or Ray
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 05:41:13 AM »
Are you talking flat glass? There are several glazers in Genoa and Issel is a genovese name. But there is no other glass industry there, so you may be looking at a retail label.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 06:28:50 AM »
Hello and welcome to the board.

ISSEL, Via Roma, 8916121 GENOVA (GE) telefono: 0105749484 (HOUSEHOLD AND GIFTS FOR THE HOME) appears to have been a retailer as Ivo suggests, but it closed in June 2014.
http://www.ilsecoloxix.it/p/genova/2014/08/05/ARtQ3mYB-salviamola_storica_ricompare.shtml
http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubblica/archivio/repubblica/2014/05/31/genova-perde-un-altro-simbolo-dopo-piu-di-centanni-chiude-isselGenova08.html

Could you add photos of your piece please - we may be able to tell you more if we can see it. Thanks!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline philyesil

• Members
    • Italian Glass
    • Cyprus
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 06:54:39 AM »
Thank you both Anne and Ivo for your help, I am about to photograph the piece but wanted day light to get the best results. You may be correct about the label being a retail label but I believe someone will recognise the makers style as the workmanship is stunning and so life like, it looks like it would swim off it you placed it in water! Back soon with photos.

Many thanks

Phil

Offline philyesil

• Members
    • Italian Glass
    • Cyprus
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 07:39:29 AM »
Having a little triuble attaching the pictures, hope this works.

Offline philyesil

• Members
    • Italian Glass
    • Cyprus
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 07:42:30 AM »
Issel label

Offline philyesil

• Members
    • Italian Glass
    • Cyprus
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 12:28:31 PM »
Hi again, the clue was the label, it wasn't the makers but the sellers name and now I have managed to find several similar pieces which are Murano. Getting a valuation is a little more difficult though. This is more of an art glass than some of the other similar items which are paper weight size.
Anymore info greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand