No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: signed Michael Harris 9"Azurene Lollipop-Vase  (Read 1943 times)

Offline jag1070dog

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass items
    • south derbyshire
signed Michael Harris 9"Azurene Lollipop-Vase
« on: May 05, 2015, 07:57:11 PM »
HI Lady's & Gents
                            Ive been collecting glass for about 5 years so I'm no expert. I purchased a vase recently From eBay The base reads Isle of Wight Hunt Ball 1st February 1985  and signed by Michael Harris. This is a truly stunning Azurene Lollipop Vase 9" tall with masses of gold inclusion. The engraving is very fine, precise and extremly crisp perfectly level the signature is extremely accurate and identical to that of Michael Harris.
          I have a slight concern regarding its authenticity due to the low price I paid & the low number of bids the vase achieved.
Any advise would be really appreciated

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: signed Michael Harris 9"Azurene Lollipop-Vase
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 11:46:34 AM »
Hi and welcome. :)
It looks ok from what I can make out, thanks for posting directly to the board and for resizing properly - much appreciated.
If you have some talcum powder, could you rub a little over the marks with your thumb to bring them out, and retake the pic? If you don't have talc, a little cornflour or even ordinary flour would do, but flour can be gungy to get off if it gets wet.
A pic of the whole beast would be nice. Is is alll gold foil, or is there silver too?
With the recession, nothing is really doing too well just now, Mdina and IoW are not flying, they're just limping along. It's a good time to be buying.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 01:56:24 PM »
The signature looks spot on, kosher, genuine.... A photo of the whole vase would be good (just so we can drool over it).

John

Offline jag1070dog

• Members
    • glass items
    • south derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 05:28:33 PM »
hi Guys
This is the item any ideas of value????

Online Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 05:36:59 PM »
Whatever you just paid for it probably. The collectors would have seen it

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 05:40:13 PM »
Agreed about the value.
It looks as if it's all gold, no silver foil that I can see there, so it's (technically) Gold Azurene.
Has it been sprayed with an irridescent finish or is it plain? (It looks plain, the stannous chloride spray for the irridesence was a later thing.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline jag1070dog

• Members
    • glass items
    • south derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 06:06:36 PM »
Hi Sue the vase has a plain finish the Gold is just under the surface. A bueatifull peice I paid  just over £200 which i felt was a bargain, just looking for a little reassurance thats all, Oh and to show it off :P
regards
jason

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 06:28:36 PM »
That's a fine price - especially with a signature. Honest!
There are different finishes to Azurene, depending on when they were made. This one is in perfect keeping with having been made by Michael Harris, the straight gold, without the iridescent spray. Probably a bit more unusual than ones with both gold and silver.
I have two (unsigned) myself - one is a very early experimental one, where the silver foil has done a lot of reacting with the glass, and the other, which is a lot later, and has the stannous spray on it.

I like the way the foil has been worked on the surface of your lollipop - but then, I tend to like how Michael Harris worked stuff!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 08:41:46 PM »
Hi Jag, I have split off your request about the (rather nice) spiralled vase and moved it into the general Glass forum.
KevinH

Offline jag1070dog

• Members
    • glass items
    • south derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 08:48:30 PM »
Cheers Kev still getting to grips with the forum
Thanks everyone for your help so far

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia