No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Reproduction glass in the Georgian style?  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Cluster

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Drinking glasses
    • UK
Reproduction glass in the Georgian style?
« on: May 28, 2015, 12:45:07 PM »
Here is a image of my last two glass buys.   Both via thE bay as I browsed for the odd bargain.   

The small glass on the left is possibly early to mid C18 and is the usual size (included for size comparison).   
The larger glass was a great surprise.  The seller had listed it as an old glass with no real dimensions.  I bid and won it  :) and expected a glass as small as the one on the left, very possibly with a folded foot.  Imagine my surprise when this half pint goblet arrived.   
I believe that it probably is not a Georgian piece, but is an interesting piece regardless of its age. 
The bowl and stem certainly have striations and some inclusions, the foot has a snapped pontil but not a folded foot. The foot has very little in the way of striations but has significant wear.   The engraving is detailed and fine, quite a good quality engraving. 

Could this be type of glass be a C20 reproduction?   

It's a really nice piece anyway....

Dave

Edit:  I wanted to add, if this is a piece from C20,  handmade and finished to this level, would it have been an expensive piece? 

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Reproduction glass in the Georgian style?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 04:06:02 PM »
hi Dave  -  your pix look quite good by the way  -  sometimes these clear pieces can be improved by editing in picasa  -  it allows for some tweaking of contrast etc., and clear glass does need all the help it can get to assist with id.                 

Must admit that 'early to mid C18' does sound optimistic, although you may be correct of course  -  and believe you're saying that the smaller glass has a folded foot  - it looks to have the shape of a small wine or even goblet.             Unfortunately, expressions like ' the usual size' doesn't really help  -  glasses during the C18 did vary in size  - so your descriptions do need to include the height.          Also helps to give some idea of the content of the engraving  -  what the animals are etc.

If you flick these (with care), a good ring (resonance) will tell you if they were made with lead oxide  -  a dull sound will probably indicate a soda-lime construction  -  which just might indicate Continental origin.

Have to say that the engraving on the large piece doesn't make me think of the C18, so you may be correct in suggesting a lot later.

Hopefully, we might persuade Peter (Oldglassman) to look in and give his opinion, and in the meantime hope you able to provide some more information as suggested. :)

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 08:23:50 AM »
Hi ,
           The glass to the left looks very much like a typical Silesian/Bohemian small wine with pedestal stem and folded foot in soda metal from the mid 18th c ,as for the other,without more photos as suggested its really not possible to make any meaningful comments,a clear photo of the underside of the foot and better shots of the engraving could  help.

cheers ,
  Peter.

Offline Cluster

• Members
    • Drinking glasses
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 11:49:44 AM »
Thanks for further comments.    I didn't mean to post a "what is it" ID question, more a general query about the range of reproductions out there.  But, as you have been kind enough to take the time to look at the images of the big glass,   :)

It's a big glass, 20cm tall,  10.5cm dia rim & 10.2cm dia foot.  It weighs a little over 500g.  The engraving shows a symmetrical scene of two game birds facing each other on a plane with two trees (of a Chinese style?) with a fence running between them.   
The bowl land stem have striations and some inclusions that make me think that it is hand blown. The foot has little in the way of striations but does have a couple of inclusions.  The foot shows good wear.
The bubble in the stem appears to have created a dome of glass in the bottom of the bowl, as if it is erupting into the bowl from below, rather than the bowl having a fairly plain interior base.   
The pictures were made and processed in a slight rush, please forgive the sometimes lost focus point and reflections.   

What's interesting to me, is to determine that it is handmade and hand engraved, perhaps a broad range for it sage would be nice but not critical.     Thanks, Dave.       

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 12:07:18 PM »
Hi
       Your glass appears to be from a group that is regularly encountered featuring rather crude engraving of cock fighting in its various stages,I believe i can see the spurs on the birds legs , yours would be the stand off before battle commences, these glasses were produced in sets in the early 20th c and are hand made(blown) and hand engraved though as I said fairly crudely as far as glass engraving goes,the form is a basic drawn trumpet which has been produced for a very long time so is not really a copy or reproduction as such.

cheers ,
             Peter.

Offline Cluster

• Members
    • Drinking glasses
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 12:58:17 PM »
Thanks again, Peter.           

I'm happy that they are hand made...   I can see that the engraving of the trees is quite stylised and possibly simple, I thought that the cocks were quite well done.....I clearly have a way to go in learning more about glassware.   
Many thanks!         

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand