No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID on glass vases  (Read 591 times)

Offline Basketball Mom

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Pennsylavania
ID on glass vases
« on: May 30, 2015, 07:03:33 PM »
Hello,

I have a few glass vases like this. I've tried to research them but haven't come up with anything. And ideas?

The glass has a satiny feel. It's kind of thin. No marks.

Thank you in advance!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: ID on glass vases
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 09:44:05 PM »
hi welcome to the GMB.                 My thoughts with similarly decorated pieces  -  very thickly applied enamel paint often floral in style - gilded rims and applied dots of enamel -  are that the origin is Czechoslovakia  -  sometimes they are found with labels saying 'Made in the Czech. Republic Bohemian Lead Crystal'  -  but I'm also aware that some people here include Murano I think.
Date wise I'd suggest they are quite recent, and possibly very recent.

If you have a few vases like this, do you acquire them from estate sales?

Sorry this isn't overly helpful  -  and regret that quite possible that you won't find the actual name of the factory  -   labels on pieces like this often show only the exporter's name.

Not that it really makes a difference in this instance, but it's the practice here, usually, to include the size/height of glass pieces.

These are attractive and bright, also very useful :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Basketball Mom

• Members
    • Pennsylavania
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 10:21:39 PM »
Hi Paul! Thank you for the warm welcome and quick reply!

I purchased 6 of these vases from an estate sale. The husband and wife were huge collectors. Mostly china, but they had about 30 to 50 of these vases. My feeling was they were old. There was one vase in the collection that I saw that appeared to be a souvenir piece. It was heavily decorated like these but also had a name of a famous hot springs area in Pennsylvania. Looked like early 1900's but I don't know for sure as these kind of things aren't really my area. These were just too pretty to leave behind.

The pieces I purchased range from 6 to 8 inches.

Thank you again!

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 12:32:57 AM »
I absolutely & completely understand where Paul is coming from saying Czech, however they may also stand a very good chance of being 1900-1915 Ohio Valley glass production by several score of  glass manufacturing plants that either did in house decorations or sold the finished blanks to decorating houses nearby & during this period alot of our glass production resembled something you might find produced in Bohemia with the same type of enameling. Your example of the " famous hot springs area in Pennsylvania" vase is typical of a blank decorated by a local decorating company. During the time period of 1880 to 1915 there were as many operational glass companies in Ohio, Indiana, West Virginia & Pennsylvania, these four states alone as there were in many parts of europe. We (the U.S.) at this point in time were well past our colonial period where we had to rely on european imports.   

Offline Basketball Mom

• Members
    • Pennsylavania
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 12:47:59 AM »
Thank you Ohio! That's very interesting. I had no idea about the glass companies in that area, just pottery.

I should have included this before, but the pink one with what looks like wisteria has a little mark (the only one marked), I assumed it was the artist.

I'm going to love learning here!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 08:57:27 AM »
The mark is more likely the decorator's mark. They worked on piecework, so had to identify the pieces they produced. Feel free to post more but can I suggest a separate thread for each and including base shots and dimensions. And preferably no more than three a day to avoid swamping the board.I think I'm with Ken; they don't feel Bohemian/Czech

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand