No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Val Saint-Lambert bowl  (Read 1915 times)

Offline LouisXIV

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Vintage glass
    • Belgium
Val Saint-Lambert bowl
« on: June 07, 2015, 03:18:12 PM »
Hello,

First of all, I hope this is the right place to post this. I know this bowl is Val St Lambert, because it's marked on the bottom.
Can anybody tell me when it's made and who designed it? I presume somewhere in the 50's or 60's but I can't find any similar one on the internet.
I have send an e-mail to the company, but the inbox is full. ;)

Weight 3245 gram
top +- 300 x 300 mm
bottom 100 x 100 mm

Thanks a lot!

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
Re: Val Saint-Lambert bowl
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 06:49:52 PM »
Catalogued items always have a registered number which  starts with two initials, referring to the designer.
A lot of the 'Tordus' séries is done by Rene Delvenne, but I came across several similar bowls in the 1962 catalogue, done by Pierre Dias, so I would opt for him rather then Delvenne.

I always have mixed emotions when I see these free form pieces, because of what and the period they represent. This type of glass was extremely popular at the time and the company directors took a big risk by trying to milk it out, the production that is,  as much as possible. For the professional glassblowers, it didn't leave much of a challenge making these pieces anymore and a lot of these pieces ended up being made by apprentices. Because the direction insisted of focusing solely on this glass, due to it's popularity, no new exciting designs were made, glass cutters had less work and new designers were not taken on, very much to the glass blowers worry and annoyance  ... to make a long story short, this type of glass got overproduced and the market collapsed. Unfortunately VSL never recovered from this, and I guess we all know where it lead to.

Offline LouisXIV

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Vintage glass
    • Belgium
Re: Val Saint-Lambert bowl
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 10:11:25 AM »
Thank you for your insightful explanation!!

:D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand