No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: G Hadella? on Gozo  (Read 3107 times)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
G Hadella? on Gozo
« on: June 12, 2015, 10:25:53 PM »
Hi Guys, I found these quite interesting, are they Mdina pieces and made for someone on the island of Gozo Malta or made by Gozo Glass, who is G Hadella? Not sure what the numbers mean either?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STUNNING-GOZO-STUDIO-ART-GLASS-VASE-CITTADELLA-MALTA-/291467430377

http://www.propertyroom.com/l/handmade-italian-art-glass-paperweight-c1960s/9457362
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: G Hadella
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 10:19:41 AM »
Don't know who made these, but the script reads "Cittadella" and not G. Hadella ;) >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cittadella_(Gozo)

Michael

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
Re: G Hadella
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 10:28:04 AM »
Thanks Rocco Cittadella it is then :) I notice the bases are all flat ground but not polished.
Also this must be made by the same hand?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131529294682

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: G Hadella?
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 11:23:39 AM »
The design of the first piece is from Mdina - Crystal Blue Stripe and with the very heavy use of silver chloride and the jewell-like blue, would suggest a later execution of this design rather than early - there was a later period of the silver salts being very heavy in these, but the design itself is one of Michael Harris' and has been in production almost from the start of Mdina.

I don't know why the inscriptions are there or what they mean, but perhaps they might be pieces from when Gozo was being set up and designs modified for that purpose? (in the '80s, which would be about right for the heavy salts and the jewell-like blue)

The small size is interesting, but I've checked it against a surface decorated "miniature" from Mdina and it is bigger than that, so I don't think it's part of that range, but I do have a Mdina small flat disc bottle, which I think is this size, in the more plain blue with the silver chloride ochre streak design. (I can't find it atm.)

The last piece shown, with the browns and reds, over a crizzle background, is a very unusual thing, I've not seen one before, it's possibly an early experimental thing... ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
Re: G Hadella?
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 11:33:12 AM »
Hi, why has the ID been now stated as Cittadella Gozo, this implies that Cittadella is a glassworks and I dont believe that it is?? This ID = Cittadella needs removing please, (unless someone knows any different).
I understand that these designs are Mdina type but where have they been made, obviously not Mdina? Thanks for your input Sue.

Mod: ID removed, thanks for the heads-up!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: G Hadella? ID = Cittadella, Gozo
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 11:58:51 AM »
According to p.68 of Mark's book, Gozo was set up in '89 by Michael Harris with Leonard Mulligan (who had set up Phoenician Glass) and Rupert Brooke, as a retirement project.
"Samples for the ranges were made byTimothy and were based on typical Mediterranean characteristics including sun, sea, sand and shells. Forms were shaped like pebbles, with matte, stone-like surfaces that did not include gold or silver leaf."
Timothy would have been working at IoWSG then, and I do not think they used that clear shade of blue in the crystal blue stripe design shown above, ever.

The writing on the bases of the pieces you've shown doesn't look anything like Tim's writing, which is neat and quite italicised.  ???
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: G Hadella? on Gozo
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 03:59:49 PM »
obviously not Mdina?
I think that's jumping to conclusions, particularly as Gozo is part of Malta. They may have been made for a gift shop in the Citadella

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 09:21:34 PM »
Hi, sorry you have understood me, it was more of question than a statement. I could put longer version saying, to my mind they are obviously not Mdina does anyone else agree? :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 09:02:23 AM »
I'm afraid I don't agree, Wolfie. The appearances of the pieces are far too Mdina-y to rule it out, the numbering written on them looks like some of the numbering written on Mdina, (the kind nobody knows any meaning for yet), and so there is every possibility they were made at Mdina for something or somebody else.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 09:59:07 AM »
Hi,
This is an interesting topic and the images that we are talking about will be gone in a few months. I have therefor done a screen grab that can be viewed here. http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o72/bargiepat/Random%20pics/Vase%20question%20_zpsika6wyk1.jpg

Could these pieces be Mtarfa......... ?

Cheers,

Patrick.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand