No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Antique Butterfly with signature cane - ID Help Please  (Read 2989 times)

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
Re: Antique Butterfly with signature cane - ID Help Please
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 04:59:13 PM »
Better pictures will be posted later today.  I have closeups of the flower, cane, and butterfly wings.

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 02:10:04 AM »
New pictures of the butterfly, closeup of wing, closeup of blue flower, and reverse side of signature cane:

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 06:16:30 AM »

Hi Allan.  Thanks for the extra images.

I am pretty sure that this is from the same maker as the butterflies that are being discussed in the 2016 Bulletin. You might want to contact Paul Dunlop if you have not yet done so - I think he referred to this unknown maker as 'Factory 11' in his talk at Wheaton a few years ago.  It seems from the evidence that these wing canes are from the same source as those found in the antique glass doorknobs (close-up below).  A key element is the use of a 22 cog cane, and delicate feathery stardust canes. 

I have a colour ground paperweight with torsade and flat base I believe to be from the same source (or at least, use canes from the same source) - image below.  That reminds me of Belgian paperweights such as Val St Lambert (but I don't suggest mine is from VSL).  I also have a starfish cane weight which includes 3 of the 'doorknob' or Factory 11 canes.  And the starfish weights are probably Belgian, as I argue in an article for the 2016 Bulletin.

I think these are 'unknown European factory' - probably France or Belgium.

As for the signature cane....could it be a 'W'  or an 'M' ?

Alan

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 01:05:48 PM »
Thanks Alan.  The owner was hoping for an ID before putting it up for sale.  I've put as much time as I can into this and will leave it as unknown antique. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand