No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Powder box with Nudes: ID Frantisek Halama poss Repro  (Read 8165 times)

Offline Rob

• Members
Powder box with Nudes: ID Frantisek Halama poss Repro
« on: April 24, 2004, 09:05:03 AM »
Just wondering if anyone can help me with dating / attributing (valuing?) a
yellow uranium glass lidded bowl.

It is pressed glass, with two semi-draped naked female figures on the lid, with further partially draped female figures around the sides of the bowl.

No markings are evident, other than the initials "FH" neatly etched into the base of the bowl.

The top of the bowl has a diameter of approximately 10 cm (4 inches).

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Rob

• Members
Is this a possibility?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 12:10:50 PM »
Frances & Michael Higgens, who seem to have produced Art Glass items in USA - could this be "FH" on the item?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks,

Rob

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 07:02:11 AM »
Most unlikely, the Higginses did gold screened decoration, not pressed Uranium glass. I think you will not get an answer until you post a picture somewhere.  :roll:

Offline Rob

• Members
Thanks Ivo
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 10:43:43 AM »
Thanks for your reply Ivo.  :)

Following the links from your web-page, I came upon the site of Frantisek Halama ( www.halama-glass.cz ).  :idea:

Do you know anything of this Artisan, as not only do the initials match, but the work illustrated looks very reminiscent of the piece I described (although it is in yellow glass, and most of the pieces on the site are in clear glass).  :idea:

Regards,

Rob

Offline Rob

• Members
Is it Repro?
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 11:49:56 AM »
Following further research on ebay and another site, I am now convinced it is from Frantisek Halama, but all of the items on ebay seem to be modern repro (since 2000), although still quite expensive - is there a way of picking original deco works from the repro items (signature, etc), or do I just need to establish some kind of provenance, and look at wear marks, etc on the item?

:?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:
Thanks,

Rob

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 06:28:44 AM »
congrats i think you've solved your puzzle. Halama is a most likely source of pressed powder boxes with nude ladies. If FH is the signature it would suggest that it is a recent piece. Pre-war pieces would not be signed, neither would pieces from the communist era (>'90) when the factory was part of a large industrial conglomerate.

Offline Rob

• Members
Awaiting Info
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2004, 11:27:00 AM »
Thanks Ivo. :D

I emailed Halama last night & got a response from Robert Halama this morning saying that he was going away for a couple of days & will respond when he gets back - will post info when received. :wink:

Regards,

Rob

Offline Rob

• Members
Catalogue Received
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 01:32:36 PM »
In the mail today, I have received a catalogue from Halama. It confirms my belief that the piece I was offered is modern, and therefore way overpriced. :evil:

Some of the pieces in the catalogue are quite beautiful, so I may end up purchasing anyway, but will not be paying for "Art Deco" era European Glass. :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand