No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: #1 Centre Cane Paperweight Help  (Read 4779 times)

Offline LesBeatiques

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • U.S.
    • The Paperweight Collection
Re: #1 Centre Cane Paperweight Help
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 04:04:54 PM »
Hello,

An image of PP32 1978 "J" edition is published in "The Complete Guide to Perthshire Paperweights" and it features a translucent red ground with open concentric patterned complex canes. While the authors don't specify, it seems that PP32's contain patterns of complex canes, of the 9 weights (PP32; 1978j-1986r) shown all contain patterns of complex canes. Additionally, the five pointed star cane is rather unusual and I am finding it difficult to locate another Perthshire paperweight with this type of cane.

Alan's two examples of "J Glass" are indeed very complex but less complex designs composed of simple canes do exists. Additionally, there are similarities in some of the canes, particularly in the outer garland of the first example. I believe that the two weights in question are probably by the same maker, both with a five pointed star signature "J" cane. It might worthwhile to reach out to John Deacons to see if J Glass had anything like this in production.

Regards,
Eric

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 04:10:21 PM »

Hi Eric

The Perthshire book shows how the design varied year to year, but it is not clear to me from the text whether the design varied within each year as well.  I agree that a quick question to John Deacons might be helpful in clarifying the position.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 05:42:14 PM »
I used to copy data/images from ebay auctions of modern Scottish paperweights - this includes three 1978 PP32 weights (which I cannot show for copyright reasons): all have the same cane setup as shown in the "Guide" on red translucent ground. Whilst this is no "proof", of course, I would exclude the weight in question here to be a PP32.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline cxgirl

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 06:10:33 PM »
Thank-you Alan! I love the butterfly paperweight, the way the wings are stretched and curled at the bottom is amazing.
Yes, the weights do look similar in design.That is interesting that they would have varied designs and facets for the same weight - I wonder why they would do that?  So this might be Perthshire PP32?
I'm still learning so to me the canes have different designs but basically look the same. In the 1st one you posted, the canes on the outer edge look the same as the ones in the outer edge of mine. Is it possible to identify a weight by the colours used? So much to learn.
Mary

Offline cxgirl

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 06:24:53 PM »
Sorry, I should have refreshed the page, I didn't see the comments from Eric and Wuff.
So probably not Perthshire PP32? This is interesting and fun trying to id this weight- thanks for helping out on this folks!
Mary

Offline cxgirl

• Members
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2015, 12:50:14 PM »
I posted on a Paperweight Facebook group about my weight and someone has posted a similar design weight with a Jay Glass label on the base and a centre star cane with 'J'. That weight also has canes similar to both Alan and my weight, 2 1/2" diameter. That weight has a row of canes like the last row in your weight Alan, so maybe the letter in yours is J rather than S? I'll see if that poster will join this thread and show photos.
Mary

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2015, 02:21:24 PM »

Hi Mary.  That would be useful, as I was banned from that Facebook Group (I explained that an Old English paperweight belonging to the founder of the Group was not a Bacchus, but a Richardson - the powers that be on the Group appear to dislike facts that conflict with their guesswork!).

I don't recall seeing a J Glass label ever ( incidentally, the company was 'J Glass', not Jay Glass, the name being a reference to the antique 'j 1848' Bohemian paperweights).

I may see John Deacons at a paperweight meeting at the start of August - I'll take the paperweight along and show it to him if he is there.

Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2015, 06:44:22 PM »
Hi Alan

Agree that the more "usual" name is "J" Glass but the certificates that
John issued with each weight were ambiguous using both the term
 "J" Glass and Jay Glass.

See attached certificates which I believe were
all written by John's wife.

Best regards

Derek

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2015, 08:20:43 PM »

Hi Derek.  Thanks - useful information.

Alan

Offline cxgirl

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2015, 12:13:38 AM »
Here are the photos of the other paperweight - Susan has given me permission to post them here & I sent a link to this thread so hopefully she will join in.
So I'm thinking mine is by J glass and maybe yours as well Alan. That would be wonderful to get a positive ID. I was wondering about sending an e-mail to John Deacons but not sure if that would be okay to do.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand