No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help ID White Opalescent Glass Swan  (Read 2582 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Help ID White Opalescent Glass Swan
« on: July 22, 2015, 06:31:14 PM »
Looking for help to try and ID this white opalescent glass Swan please . I was almost certain that it was a middle size Burtles and Tate and that not all the swans may have been marked.

I was recently messaged by a very knowledgeable person on pressed glass that he thought the swan may be American and not Burtles. I think the swans he is thinking about were made by Cambridge glass , I had a couple myself a few years ago and there were very similar to the Burtles swans but the opalescent was a different blue and the smaller size.

I think first I am trying to find out if it could be American not can that be ruled out. My own opinion is that it does not look right to be American but I could be wrong. If its not American and not Burtles and Tate who else could have made it.

Length 5.75"
Height 4.25"
Weight 400gm

Thanks Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline MHT

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • English Pressed Glass
    • Cumbria
    • Victorian Pressed Glass
Re: Help ID White Opalescent Glass Swan
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 09:33:21 PM »
Roy
I have no problem with your ID as B&T. It is slightly smaller than the large swan but a lot bigger than the middle size. I suspect a different mould with no Reg No. Have made an offer.
Mike
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

www.victorianpressedglass.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 05:37:57 AM »
Probably thinking of Imperial Glass swans as they made one that looks somewhat relatively close & they made them in white & blue opaescent. Have to say though that they are only 4" height & frankly detail not near the quality as yours so I would continue to look on your side of the pond...I don't think this is U.S.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Imperial-Blue-Horizon-Iridescent-Carnival-Glass-Swan-Figurine-Candy-Dish-/261900250461?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cfa78ad5d&nma=true&si=VmAKfEGWi1tqC8LX2CzsYNhAFbg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_502wt_610

Offline Alsretro

• Members
    • Scotland
    • My Ebay items
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 06:51:21 AM »
I bought a very similar (maybe identical) swan in a Copenhagen second hand/ antique centre in 2012. I too thought it was by Burtles & Tate and listed it as probably that although it had no maker's marks. I was also challenged by someone (a Northern Ireland based person) who said it wasn't by B&T but can't remember who, or if, they said they believed it was by. They did buy it for somewhere around £60.
Alastair

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 07:31:16 PM »
Thanks Ken and for your correction , Imperial Glass was what I was thinking. I would also agree almost certainly English if not American which I did not think it was .
I think Mike's answer is most likely.

Thanks Roy

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 05:57:04 PM »
two colour swans appear in this Streit catalogue for 1913

A blue opal and a light white - blau opal and hellweiss

https://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Streit-1913.105+B6YmFja1BJRD0xMDUmcHJvZHVjdElEPTQ2MzImZGV0YWlsPQ__.0.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand