No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: French Legras Saint-Denis 'Delft' series vase description?  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Michelleb007

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Bohemian Glass
    • USA
French Legras Saint-Denis 'Delft' series vase description?
« on: July 24, 2015, 01:20:00 AM »
Hi there,

I just acquired a very lovely opaline vase that, although unsigned, I am quite sure is by Legras, and is part of their 'Delft' series that I believe dates to 1902. The enamel work is very fine, and I was so excited to see it in person when it arrived two days ago.  I do not have the latest Legras book yet ('François Théodore LEGRAS. Verrerie artistique et populaire française'), and was wondering if anyone with the book could possibly paraphrase what it says about the Delft series? I have tried to research it online, but have found very little about the Delft series. (My vase pictures are attached - it is approx. 9.75in (24.8cm) tall.)

Thanks so much for any help you can provide!
Michelle

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
Re: French Legras Saint-Denis 'Delft' series vase description?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 08:52:31 AM »
Hello Michelle,

In the mentioned book, there's a vase, same model but slightly smaller @ 8",  with a marine/riverboats image, called "Cérès". The guirlande or frieze  around the rim is the same.

It is mentioned, literally translated, that this type of enamel was in production up to 1924, but the 'golden age' lays between 1880-1910.
The style changed with time, due to trends and fashion but also due to commercial strategies.

Usually there are 4 panelled images on a white opaline background, surrounded by floral ornaments. Pieces of exceptional quality were signed 'L et Cie-St Denis-Paris'.

The series 'Delft' is strongly linked to this type of décor. On a white opaline background, a blue, monochrome décor has been applied with Dutch scenes, either boats leaving a harbour or landscapes with windmills.

Distributed at, for instance Le Grand Dépôt, it was announced  in their catalogue that no other production had given such a beautiful effect for the price that these items were sold for, so basically customers got quality for their money, at a reasonable price.

On the decorating process it is mentioned that they used a few background colours, opaque or not, and a design was transfer printed with ink. Next the enamel was applied in powder and passed under a 'mitten' to melt the powder.

I hope this answers your question ....

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 08:58:19 AM »
Actually, going through the book, I came across these images and your vase is illustrated, under the name 'Cérès'.  :D

Offline Michelleb007

• Members
    • Bohemian Glass
    • USA
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 03:23:47 PM »
Anne, thank you SO much! This information is wonderful, and more than I even hoped for.  :D The images are great to see!
Thanks very much for your help!
Kind regards,
Michelle

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 03:59:27 PM »
What the last bit of the translation concerns, 'moufle' translates as mitten...
I don't know what to imagine with that, because it's not explained in the book and I haven't come across that term before. Perhaps it was some dome-shaped, heat radiating device to melt the enamelling powder to its finished condition. Hopefully this is not a new term for someone over here who can explain this process a bit more.

Offline Michelleb007

• Members
    • Bohemian Glass
    • USA
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 05:21:58 PM »
Anne, my french isn't good enough to translate this well, but here is a text (a free Google Ebook) from 1883 that describes French glass making, and the use of a "moufle" :

[Mod: long url converted to clickable text]

Google Books Link

Does this help to explain what it is actually like?

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 05:33:52 PM »
I'm not getting the whole text unfortunately, would it be possible to make a capture? The texts I'm coming across are all modern processes.
It could be an old expression, literally translated it says in the book that it is covered by a 'moufle'. When I search for this word, the results I get are all modern versions, as in 'pots'.... which can't be used like that as described, as the items are placed inside it.

Offline Michelleb007

• Members
    • Bohemian Glass
    • USA

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 06:39:44 PM »
Thank you for the trouble but nothing that applies to this process of enamelling. It talks about glass tiles/plaques that are placed in a cylinder shaped oven. Of course technology moves on, but it's interesting to read how it was done in the old days.

I'm just looking on the internet here and found in French two definitions, specifically for enamelling glass.

1. A semi cylinder shaped stoneware 'cocotte' that is sealed and placed in the oven by the 'moufletier', that allows the piece to be heated without touching the flames directly or the hot charcoal/wood.

2. A little dome shaped 'oven', that is placed inside a larger oven , again just to protect the piece and avoid direct heat.

Le 'moufletier' was usually a man, women applied the décor before this process and the first time this term was mentioned was in 1579 for metal and 1723 for glass.

So basically, it's like when you make a bœuf Bourguignon in your oven, your cooking it without direct heat.

Thank you for asking this because, as I mentioned, I didn't know this expression of 'moufler' and I have learned something as well. In the end it was easier to find than I thought.  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand